[FIXED] OB6 broke? Need some verification

So

:scream:
NOOoOoooo!

2 Likes

I mean that:

In that case, every parameter is returned to a default position. The knobs on the panel arenā€™t motorized so they donā€™t reflect that value. But I do know the filter is fully open, modulations are reset to nothing, volume is up, Envelope at default etcā€¦

Switching to manual mode sets the values to where the knobs are, I tried it and it does what it says, doesnā€™t change the fact that Square waveform isnā€™t audible with OSC2 (after making sure all the above is happening as it should).

1 Like

Thanks but no, sorry :slight_smile:

As stated above, Iā€™m not able to diagnose nor fix electronic instruments, and it is under warranty, which Iā€™d void by opening it up.

Yep!

I usually prefer Manual mode.

I read somewhere the Basic Preset could be broken.
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=2744.0

I wonder if it loads a user preset.

Have you tried updating the firmware, just in case?

1 Like

For what itā€™s worth sequentials warranty will let you do self repair if it is something like popping in a new board or reseating somethingā€¦ worth getting in touch with their support, they donā€™t outsource there support team. I actually just had an interview for a role doing support there :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Firmware update, Filter calibration is something you can also try. Very unlike it will let the sun in, but try everything before sending it in (guarantee, which by the way is godsend in such a case). Hope the bestā€¦

1 Like

VCOā€™s are discrete in this one afaik, so sounds like whatever component is performing the pulse width modulation or buffering it into the waveshaper went out.

All shapes are based on the same oscillator core, which is working if you hear the other waveforms.

Dead op-amp pre-mixer most likely.
But I agree, donā€™t open and make use of your warranty.

1 Like

100% if all voices have that problem.

So itā€™s probably on the controlling side of the waveshaper. Mux or DAC-related.

Best of luck, Iā€™m planning to get my hands on one myself.

Thanks for all the help. Iā€™ve tried everything (loading presets, manual mode, initializing the presets etcā€¦), not yet firmware but Iā€™ll wait to hear from Sequential support.

While Iā€™m an ass with electronics (thanks @trackerjack for confirming some of my assumptions and educating me some), Iā€™m not with synthesis, nor that synth, Iā€™m quite positive itā€™s an electronics problem and will confirm with Sequential, and then use my remaining warranty.

@trackerjack I can only recommend the OB6, it has a sound and a way to stand out that I love deeply! I would say that quality is high, but hey, this thread shows that nothingā€™s immune to breakage.

1 Like

I guess Iā€™ll wait to see what theyā€™re going to present at Superbooth. :slight_smile:

But after a failed Syntrx b-stock adventure, the funds are technically available, well almost.

Thatā€™s very subjective but I bought both a Syntrx and OB6, and the OB6 is the one Iā€™m feeling wil never go anywhere. Iā€™ve sold the Syntrx meanwhile and replaced it with something I like more.

1 Like

Ahemā€¦ ahemā€¦ Feel free to judge me.

While looking at the Sequential website I looked at the latest firmware number, wanted to check on my OB6 so I turned it OFF and back ON., I have the latest firmware andā€¦

That fixed the issue.

Ahem. :rofl:

8 Likes

lol

1 Like

Yeah well, or that of course. :wink:

Glad that fixed the issue.
Now go and make some tunes. :laughing:

1 Like

Shame would be there but itā€™s overpowered by good laughter. An adventure for a Fridayā€¦

Tomorrow I continue that Electro track I started this morning. Nothing groundbreaking, I make matter to play Live for an unexpected mini-gig (mini because the venue fits 20 people, or 30 tiny ones).

2 Likes

Sorry OP, I thought this was vintage. Glad you got it sorted. Iā€™m out of touch with the synth market, esp the high end. Enjoy!

1 Like

Great to hear! But what exactly solved the issue?! Just checking the actual firmware while tuning it off/on? After hours of trouble shooting you did not tried earlier? Nevertheless, now on to the electro track !:wink:

1 Like

No problem! I appreciate the intention and no offense felt, at all.

And I feel sorry to have wasted everybodyā€™s energy!

Itā€™s funny how the good old turn it off and back on didnā€™t occur to me nor participants. Interesting social experiment :wink:

1 Like

Nope, I didnā€™t try before. Just turning it off and on immediately. Somewhere a train of thought that itā€™s analog and so it didnā€™t cross my mind, when in fact it running a firmware that controls the analog components.

1 Like