FMR RNLA compressor question

Hello, I have a question, so i have a FMR Audio RNLA compressor hooked up to my Mackie cr1604 vlz mixer. The Mixer is only connected with 1 channel of the compressor per aux send. (The comp has 2 input and 2 output ). So basically 1 mono cable goes from the aux send of the mixer to the input of the first comp input) The first ouput of the comp goes to return into the mixer on one of its many channels (not aux return) everything works fine, but im left with the second out and input of the FMR RNLA Compressor. Its basically a stereo compressor with 2 channels like i said

Now the question: can i use a different audio source to feed into the compressors second channel input/output? I heard that the RNLA adds em up and should work fine? 2nd question: Now can i also feed the same mixers “main insert” into the FMR’s second channel? (Which technically routes after aux send and sgould therefore also carry compression of first connection I mad with aux send) Maybe per a trs cable ? Or would that cause feedback and fry my machines? O:

Thanky you for any useful input

I’m guessing that both inputs are linked. They would both drive the compression together and not independently as they would where the inputs are unlinked.

1 Like

Ok thats already useful… the comp also has on both inputs TRS jackets… thats why i wondered can i route the single TRS main insert of the mixer with the sec channel on the comp while the first comp channel is routed with aux send of the mixer… i know kinda weird wuestion maybe i should pose the same quedtion to the manufacteurer of FMR

You can but the internal sidechain, the signal that triggers the compressor, sums both inputs. It will work but you won’t have 2 separately compressed channels. They get the same compression amount which is likely not what you want.

2 Likes

Thats cool : D i was fairly positive that it might work. Might be chaotic but still i am interested, i can individually send every one of the mixers channels seperately into the compressor per aux send into first channel of compressor, so i would have somewhat of a control over the balance between both comp channels

Let us know if you get some interesting results :smile:

Nice thank you, i will check it out

Remember: if it sounds right it is right :wink: