FromSoftware Games Thread

ExcellentšŸ™šŸ»

1 Like

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve even beaten the first boss from that one :grinning:

3 Likes

That is when ati radoen sw suggets the gfx card. it even opens amazon from the driver panel ā€¦

1 Like

Hahaha :rofl: okĆ© that explains it. The Radeon software is without utter shame in its recommendations. The game auto-detected everything to high on my machine so as long as your oke with ā€˜ā€œjustā€ 1080P (instead of 4K :roll_eyes:) it shouldnā€™t have to break the bank.

Meanwhile Iā€™m still trying to decide on my class. Iā€™m really digging the options :aw:

Yeah, that guy. Heā€™s handed my ass back to me twice already. I seriously have absolutely no idea how to even make a dent in him.

I kind of like the honesty in that approach, though :relaxed:

3 Likes

Please keep sharing your experience :pleading_face:, I have developed somewhat of a fetish for sharing in peoples first experience with the magic (and I know Iā€™m definitely not the only one haha :joy:)

1 Like

Iā€™m honestly not sure how I beat that guy. I think I blacked out on my successful attempt. I never finished DS1 though. I think my armor was too heavy and I wasnā€™t moving like one should.

Have you changed the button layout? People claim itā€™s wrong on Switch and that it makes a big difference.

THIS HERE FELL POS ON THE OTHER HAND. Oh my word.

2 Likes

i try now on ps4 the astrology guy, it feels like cheating. Magic is totally op. Killing a giant is so easy and the 2nd spell eats hordes of monsters already. Performance on ps4 is really good. Quality dies not feel different from the high settings steam version.

Man, I am terrible. Feel after mainly playing Nioh 2 lately, I need to go back to school was getting dominated by everything in site besides the soldiers in the best way! Canā€™t wait to get back in!!

First impressions andā€¦ this is incredible. Was worried that the reviews would set the bar too high but Elden Ring surpasses expectations.

Canā€™t recall the last time I sat and played a game on my own for nearly 5 hours straight :joy: thought I had made a big mistake choosing to start as a wretch with no keepsakes but that club can do some decent damage once you level up and what a journey itā€™s been.

Iā€™m quite happily battering my way through the first map area too. To think there is a whole load of game beyond this is exciting. And I get the feeling that no two peoples experiences are going to be the same with this one. Just so much in there to do. If this is maintained over the whole map then wow.

Now to work out what/how to upskill effectively. I seem to have the dodging pretty much nailed so thinking Iā€™d like to stick to that but add a decent weapon and some magic stuff. Quite keen to do some spells in this play though.

Last thing, this really is the most accessible of From Softwares games Iā€™ve experienced. It has some very challenging sections but grants the freedom to skip past huge sections of challenge. Want to take it easy and level up at your own pace? Fine, go off and do that and youā€™ll uncover heaps. Sites of Grace seem more populous too.

Anyway, enough of the gushing. Now to do some reading to work out what some of the stuff Iā€™ve collected actually doesā€¦

Edit: some performance drops on Series X for me. Frame rate drops and the likes. Not enough to ruin things but enough to hope for patches to fix soon.

4 Likes

First crash on PS4 in front of first castle boss, the game could be closed and restarted though.

Gosh dang you guysā€¦Iā€™ve spent the past couple days looking for good prices on Xbox series Sā€™s partially because of the enthusiasm on this thread.

And Iā€™m not a souls fan. I didnā€™t even crack into it. First boss and I was out.

Heck all yā€™all :grinning:

1 Like

This was hard and brutal. I expected some ease into things, but the first thing you meet just demolished me. Then i didnt find the ā€œtutorialā€. haha. My girlfriend where reading up on tips and tricks, while i desperately tried to stay alive. haha.

Still not sure if this is a game for me. But will give it some time to see if i ā€œget itā€.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™ll say this as a first time Souls player - if I didnā€™t have the context, Dark Souls doesnā€™t present itself very well at first. And Iā€™m not talking about difficulty. The opening level is a bleak dungeon with mostly narrow corridors. The classes I can pick are fairly standard RPG stuff. My first enemies are zombies. My first items are swords, shields and healing potions. My first puzzle is to find a key that unlocks a door. And the devs more or less ignores default Switch control mapping and just went ā€œOh, I suppose we could put this one ā€¦ here? No? Yeah? Okay, silence means yes. Letā€™s continue.ā€

It doesnā€™t exactly hit me with high concept brilliance. Itā€™s as if itā€™s not even trying to be interesting at first. Itā€™s not even average dark fantasy, itā€™s like a demo level of shaders, textures and mechanics.

Then along comes the first boss, of course ā€¦ and thatā€™s when you get an idea (if you didnā€™t have context), okay, this is different.

And having just finished Hades, spent an hour with Hyperlight Drifter, eyed Dead Cells and Transistor for download, of course Iā€™m dazzled with strong conceptual presentations right now.

So Iā€™m not saying I donā€™t think Dark Souls can be as brilliant as you all say. Iā€™m just saying, it doesnā€™t bother much at first talking me into how great it is. Not that it has so :slight_smile: if youā€™re the boss of boss levels, I suppose you donā€™t have to care about such things anyway :slight_smile:

Are you talking about the Tree Sentinel? That is FromSoftā€™s message to newcomers that theyā€™ll need to play this game differently. Youā€™re not supposed to be able to take that guy immediately.

Edit: He speaks!

1 Like

You are not, but I made myself available for summoning and with 2 other guys we pummelled the bastard. Praise the sun!

Also, Iā€™m in love with the rolling sheep.

1 Like

I tried this guy once and immediately thought ā€œnopeā€ and just wandered off. Wasnā€™t sureif it was my wretch that was not up to task or if it was deliberate. Didnā€™t even realise that was his name :joy:

Anyway, heā€™s on my hit list to return to and batter.

1 Like

Yes this all checks out :joy: and yet, in my humble opinion, itā€™s the greatest work of art made this century, without a doubt. Nothing has effected me as that game did. It took something from me and put something else in its place, it left such a deep and lasting impression, even to this day I can still feel itā€™s effects reverberating within me.

What looked like mediocre and generic dark fantasy at first, looked like something akin to Shakespeare or Homer when it was all said and done. Itā€™s weird I know, I saw the same intro cinematic you just saw :relieved:

What seems like ā€œhealing potionsā€ is actually an estus flask, estus is bottled fire, thatā€™s why you refill your flask when you rest at a bonfire.
This might seem like a trivial detail, I know, yet in the sum total of all these little narrative details, the game expresses something very deep and profound. It simply does so in a much more solemn, silent and contemplative way. The difficulty simply forces you to be quiet, listen, observe, be presentā€¦ that is if you wish to proceedā€¦itā€™s perfectly fine without you, it doesnā€™t need you, itā€™s actually pretty bluntly upfront about that.

4 Likes

If I wasnā€™t already intending to preservere a bit longer, your words wouldā€™ve talked me into it now. Iā€™ll keep them by my side as I have another and another and yet another go at that dungeon boss.

1 Like

Excellent :relieved:

Btw What class did you pick?

1 Like