FromSoftware Games Thread

Yes, excellent :meh: it is the way :pray:

The ā€œdo I press on or shall I go back and saveguard my soulsā€ is such a good mechanic.

Killing npcs feels about as real as itā€™s gonna get in a video game. Thereā€™s something about removing the few non-hostile characters from a world mostly populated with beings who will kill you on sight.

@xidnpnlss it means that the damage output of a weapon is partially tied (scales) to one or more of your stats. You can see what a weapon scales with in the item descriptions. A scale rate of ā€œAā€ is higher than ā€œDā€.

3 Likes

And - ā€œSā€ - is the best scaling possible.

I went to the south, killed the Lion, Margit was easy after that, ok i summoned an ally, i confess, even bought Margits shackels from Patches, but didnt have to use them. Godfrey seems possible aswell, did kill him as a Summon. Playing Astrology is easy mode. Knights are just pew pew dead. I only regret leveling up the Falchion, which i converted with a magic ash - still i think i should have taken something with greater reach. Also i dont have to learn blocking, as most enemy have to be outrolled and shot from range, i feel a missing part in the game. In all previous games i had choosen warrior with bow.

3 Likes

And itā€™s easy to get greedy, when youā€™re doing quite well. Itā€™s like, ā€œI got plenty of flasks and good health and Iā€™m in the zone now. What could possibly go wro -ā€
YOU DIED

So I donā€™t know how they pulled that one off, but the tension of making that choice, to push on or go back, thatā€™s an exquisite and genius example of the fundamentals of risk vs reward. Especially since there often is no risk - going back is usually zero hassle, and since youā€™ve beat these guys once, you know you can beat them again.

And yet, the temptation to keep moving, gets stronger and stronger.

5 Likes

You narrow it down to its core, its so fascinating.

1 Like

Haha, ofcourse. I was thinking that i had to fight him. Alot of other enemies i just run past.

I did manage to get over halfway with the big dragon. Started to get optimistic, and boom. One hit killed. haha.

1 Like

Meteorite staff found andā€¦ canā€™t use it yetšŸ˜‚

Working through Stormveil and cheesed it with that spider arm thing by firing off spells and arrows from up high. No guilt felt at all.

Itā€™s crazy how the game can have such depth at a micro level (Stormveil for example) and also so much depth at the macro side of things when off aimless exporting.

I fancy returning to try the runebear again. But noticed a mention of a lion above and that tickles my fancy.

Just need to get my build optimised. Starting to rely on the shield too much for my liking and Iā€™m slow due to the armour and stuff. Wonder if I can get by with a staff in one hand, sword in the other and just some ragsā€¦

2 Likes

Thatā€™s how I managed somehow until recently (except for the rags) ^^ A scimitar in the left hand, an astrologer wand spamming sorceries in the right one.

I just arrived yesterday in the second legacy dungeon. I donā€™t manage anymore. Iā€™m getting spammed with sorceries. The irony.

1 Like

I am loving Elden Ring. Had to give Stormveil a break, I kept getting lost and finding different paths to the same grace sight. Got some sweet loot in the process though! Anyone find that red Holy Knight? I just cleared out the southern part of the map and the smaller castle Mourne. Pretty tough boss there as well, had to summon some help for it.

2 Likes

I just got transported to heaven and hell :wink: You gotta be kidding me with the size of this game.

The AI is effectively deaf. I can do basically anything if they are turned with their backs towards me. I have to figure that in my work.

Alright. Gotta break and do some adulting :cry:

1 Like

Canā€™t tell if itā€™s a spoiler or not, but actually Iā€™ve been walking around like this ever since I got this cute +8 rapier from the ā€œBig Hat Guyā€ who also sells you magic. He gave it to me after I met him a second time in this ā€œRound Tableā€ sanctuary.

I canā€™t say what you have to do to get it, but it seems that you have to beat a boss.

The game is a piece of cake now, bosses melt by the power of my spellsā€¦ oh look there a little dragonflyā€¦ you diedā€¦ love this game

1 Like

Oh man, have you got some serious internal conflict in your near future.

Youā€™re spot on with the tactics observation, by the way - certainly in my experience, once Iā€™d clicked with DS, combat in most other games felt lacking. At least tactically - I can still enjoy a simple all-out button-mashing frenzy, but anything that tries to be tactical has to stand up to the DS standard now, and few do. Assassinā€™s Creed has obviously gone in that direction, but I think it lacks the courage to go all-in and risk alienating the audience, so itā€™s a watered-down experience.

Elden Rings ramps this up beautifully with the way that many potential enemies will stand there staring at you, instead of just charging straight in, as if theyā€™re also trying to calculate their chances of success. In a lot of those instances Iā€™ve had to choose to commit to a fight, and it always IS a fight, not a simple mop-up operation. Other times Iā€™ve backed off to protect my bank balance, which exhibits a fairly equal mix of cowardice and prudence.

3 Likes

I think I know who you mean. Heā€™s not at the round table yet but I can buy stuff from him. You can apparently get his armour set too

Good to hear staff and sword works though! Back to my rolly polly days - the shield is getting ditched!

Was just thinking, now that have logged a couple of solid hours, that starting with Elden Ring as an entrypoint into the series, would be pretty fucking overwhelming. :thinking:

My first impressions:
Have to say, that so far, itā€™s pretty fucking awesome and itā€™s just getting better and better. Game also runs really well, turned everything to max and Iā€™m getting 60 fps with the occasional drop into the 40s @ 1920x1080 on a rx580, which is pretty :ok_hand:t2: in my book.

2 Likes

It was! Its like buying a huge ass eurorack modular as a first synth because you want to start doing music.

3 Likes

Right on brother :joy: right fucking on :metal:

Really loving elden ring so far. 35 hours in. I think I might be hooked :grin:

For the souls newbs, think of the combat like a rhythm game. Once this idea clicks it all starts to make sense.

6 Likes

The game is absolutely massive. It sort of plays a trick on you in the beginning, letting you think the map is only a certain size. Then as you explore more it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Itā€™s actually finally starting to get a bit overwhelming for me haha. Guess Iā€™ll just explore the Liurnia area.

2 Likes

I thought I had the map pretty much covered till I went down the wells.
I donā€™t think Iā€™ve actually progressed much in the story. Just exploring Is so much fun. Some of the map feels pretty empty but I donā€™t think this is a bad thing. It just adds to the broken world atmosphere.

Margit is a helluva trial by fire. 45% completed, 20% Godrick on Steam.

1 Like