FromSoftware Games Thread

I have two builds rn. One Confessor and the other is the Prisoner.

Stark Contrast in terms of difficulty for me, Prisoner feels way more challenging and had me getting owned all over the map.

Confessor feels like easy mode after starting with the prisoner class. Might be a good starting class for those who havent started yet.

Nice Shield, decent starting armor, and broadsword + Healing Spell + Sneak spell

2 Likes

Donā€™t forget to turn HDR mode on, it is disabled by default for some reason.

Also, donā€™t play Elden Ring back-to-back with Ghost of Tsushima. At leas on the PS4, Elden canā€™t hold a candle to the cinematography in Tsushima.

2 Likes

There is an easy shortcut to activate. Itā€™s in one of the offshoot rooms in the main room with the spider boy

1 Like

And you can snipe the spider from the floor above. It wonā€™t respawn.

1 Like

So you just get a bow and craft a mess of arrows and take people out? Or do you mean with a staff?

Iā€™ve always played Souls games as a melee fighter with a bow. Even with low Dexterity, bows are super useful for taking people out, thanks in part to being able to draw them out one at a time, as well as the joy that is poison arrows.

2 Likes

Yeah I have been running into some stubbornness from myself making elden ring probably one of the toughest souls games, but most because I am ok banging into a boss that can one shot me. Beat one of them last night which felt great but Iā€™ve also run into bosses where I really have no chance in hell.

I got some arrows and used them all to take people out from a distance and then died and there were no arrows after respawning and Iā€™m like ā€œTF?!ā€ and then I used what little I had and noticed them walking over and remembered these words and went ā€œoooohhhhh.ā€ I canā€™t turn off my Zelda brain.

This castle isā€¦a lot. Think Iā€™ll venture back out.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had to leave the castle alone, as Margit was clearly beyond my reach - I could get him to ~40%, but then it was a brick wall. So Iā€™ve been (carefully) exploring and have now cleared three mini-bosses today, which Iā€™m happy with. Iā€™ve discovered a whole pile of spawn points and tools, though in true DS fashion very little of it is of use at this stage. Iā€™ve also crept around a great many monstrosities. I just found the fort in the lower SE of the initial map, which I assume is the one Mr. Fancy Pants on the bridge asks you to clear, so thatā€™ll be tomorrowā€™s mission.

Iā€™m playing a Samurai, but you wouldnā€™t know it to look at him now. Currently all-in on dex, but Iā€™m wondering if I should put a point into int so I can pack the basic ranged spell., or if that will dilute my brand. Also I was baffled as to where my FP was going until I realised the L2 bow shot uses it. I thought maybe screaming enemies were draining itā€¦

No regrets so far, at any rate. Iā€™ve also decided on the ideal hybrid analogy, which is that Elden Ring is the Buchla to Skyrimā€™s Moog.

3 Likes

Yes, longbow, lots of arrows and kill the spider from afar. To clean the courtyard I hid in the shadows in a room, hit one of the guards with an arrow and let them come to me and either finish them off melee or take them out with arrows. The next place of grace is on the other side of the yard so if you feel brave you can drop all of your armour and just make a desperate run for it.

I did some many such runs in Bloodborne and Dark Souls to get a lay of the land and to explore chestsā€¦

1 Like

Oh snap I ran into a basement with a rat trap and used a stone key which gave me a long way around and I died trying the easy way with firebombs and guns. Iā€™ll try it your way cause itā€™s been a minute since a grace.

I am a first timerā€¦absolute Souls Noob. First two hours Elden Ring today :grin: a little bit overwhelming it is. not knowing where to got and getting your ass kicked all the time. but it seems like a great game. i am hooked

2 Likes

Some of the graces give off a thicker stream of light, both in game and on the map. Follow those for the main campaign.

But do enjoy being lost. A rich, rewarding world to be lost in.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Undead Burg now in Dark Souls and now, Iā€™m really starting to get it. Iā€™ve found a sweet place where the undead jump at me from all directions, but Iā€™ve pimped my dexterity, bought a spear and just generally learned the ropes better now. These suckers donā€™t stand a chance with all my dodges, retreats and timed attacks, so Iā€™m collecting souls, run back to the bonfire, level up, get out there again slightly stronger, and have at them

Iā€™ve spotted some goat fellow down in the cellars which I suspect isnā€™t gonna let me get away that easy, so Iā€™m kind of gearing up to get at him. But every time I reach him, I got enough souls to level up, so I return to the fire to do so, and then back in the fray again.

I have to admit, combatā€™s extremely satisfying when youā€™re noticing that tactics actually work really well. Corner the suckers in an alley, fight them from the stairs, dodge behind and through them when thereā€™s more than one, fall back. Combat mechanics are brilliant.

9 Likes

I havent gotten that far. I think i need to get a key to progress further in the castle. And this miniboss is in the room with the key.

If you kill that merchant in the Undead Burg he drops an awesome Katana weapon that scales with dexterity and could potentially last the entire game.

Iā€™m elden ring I just got a katana that scales with dex and int (my build) so Iā€™m feeling pretty good.

1 Like

Run in, get the key and leave. I didnā€™t even fight him lol. I skip enemies a LOT especially in this game.

2 Likes

Run in, get the key, youā€™ll get killed, but youā€™ll respawn with the key.

I think itā€™s FromSofts message to avoid knights. Those things are just too strong to take on.

2 Likes

I would never. Even in video games, Iā€™m just too soft for that kind of thing.

I literally feel bad when I fight the mushrooms in Hollow Knight.

3 Likes

What does it mean ā€œto scaleā€?