FromSoftware Games Thread

Thanks for the tips. I use the curved blade talisman for guard counters. I’m doing a faith build so I’m either using holy ashes or weapons that you can’t add ashes to i.e. the winged scythe.

I definitely underuse jump attacks so thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

I’m on PSN, yes. But it doesn’t really matter. The idea is everyone in a community uses the same code regardless of platform. They’ll only see the messages available to their platform, but they’ll still be messages from the community.

No. It highlights summoning signs from players in your group (that is, players who have the same code in their group passwords), but does not limit summoning to just those players.

1 Like

I’ve stat’ed 40/40 str faith and have been using the magma wyrm scale sword, the scaling on it is super good, I think I took down radahn in like 5 of the ash of war hits I think. I’ve yet to find any other str faith weapons quite as good. Not many weapons give such good scaling in multiple categories. Then again it seems like most people use Int/Dex so there could be some str faith weapons not getting talked about. The troll hammer I found is also pretty cool and a rarity in the way it does physical/fire damage but still let’s you buff it with spells.

Finally found my way into the snowy area, basically walked past a door 30 hours ago and that seems to be a bottle neck in getting over there.

1 Like

Yeah, same knight for me, he doesn’t fool around. I’m absolutely coming up against some enemies that are designed to be parried, because they just unleash a stream of attacks that can’t really be countered, tanked or dodged effectively unless you have a mountain of stamina. A well-timed parry would do the trick, but well-timed parries aren’t my forte.

Of course sometimes you try to work out whether to dodge, tank or parry a new enemy and then discover that you can just calmly walk around them and stab them in the back.

On a related note, I was playing earlier and remembered my horse could jump, which immediately unlocked a whole new area I could have accessed days ago…

Do you have “barricade shield” on your shield? It’s a game changer.

Barricade shield makes it so you can’t use your other weapon arts correct? That’s the same thing that bugs me about equipping a shield with parry.

Not at all. I use weapon arts with my Sword, I just have to 2 hand it, which takes .5 seconds to switch between.

The weapon art is a huge part of how I play. But barricade shield lets me guard counter the biggest hitting guys out there. The guard counter on my sword is pretty devastating since I use the curved sword talisman with it.

1 Like

How much points did you spend in vigor?

I might have to try this against the current bane of my existence, the fucking Draconic Tree Sentinel…

No, haven’t come across that yet as far as I’m aware. I’m using the katana and I rarely find I need to use its art (or remember to), so I could certainly give that a shot. It sounds like a good fit for my current playing style.

Went through some mines last night and the guys with pickaxes were making light work of by blocking attempts (and doing some damage despite the 100% shield, so presumably something elemental). Easily avoided one-on-one, or even in pairs, but as always with DS one additional lower-threat enemy turns it into a nightmare.

FInally plucked up the courage to set my jellyfish on the huge beast at the end of the river near the Third Church, and that’s definitely an experience I recommend.

I did something similar. Double jumped outside a cliff, and got further north. Dont think i should be up there yet. Did find an awesome ash of war that actually makes me take down mini bosses and pesky enemies. In stead of just spamming with magic from a distance. haha.

For those guys I switch my Uchigatana +12 for a blunt instrument, like a hammer or flail.
The night rider flail is nice on them.

1 Like

Fyi the mining ones ignore you unless you get aggro with them. Or steal their work.

Issue / tissue

Maybe its the COVID I caught on Monday, but this game seriously irks me sometimes.

Is it me or does the auto target need work? Im trying to ignore her spell dragon and go for Rennala instead but it just refuses to lock on to anything else. And why tf in a mob would it stay locked on a target that is now further from you than one of its faster colleagues? Grrr…

Rennala was a pretty sweet fight, though. I should have known better than to think FS would have let us off so easy. Now on to Caelid and Radahn. I’m worried this might break me…

Think I’ll go get Moonveil first…

2 Likes

Fire is effective against the pickaxe guys as well. Sometimes they’ll even explode if they die by fire.

1 Like

I’d get dragon rot breath for that fight personally. Moonveil is ok, but Rot and Bleed is very helpful against certain bosses.

1 Like

Yeah also something Im going to look into. I don’t know anything about this and I also think Im not using what I already have to its full potential.

If there were a manual or Merlins Guide of this game, Id read it. Unfortunately…

I got the barricade shield and it’s making a huge difference. I’m glad I didn’t sleep on this one!

I’m fighting Godrick right now. I’ve come within one hit of beating him a couple of times but I got greedy got punished for it. I need to learn patience in this game for sure.

1 Like

Awesome, it is a huge help if you like to use a shield.

I actually find that using a shield works well for me in this game. It’s just play style choice. Some guys 2 hand everything and make powerful bleed builds based on impaling themselves with their katanas before every fight. Just not my thing, but this game lets you play the way you want, which is awesome.

I honestly thought I’d lean towards sorcery but I think respeccing for Faith has complimented my play style better. First time I have enjoyed a faith build in a Souls game.

Ok so this is what trips me up a lot: this requires stats that, as a focused quality build, would take away from putting levelling into str and dex. I’ve chosen quality build just because I guess that’s what I’m most familiar with playing games, and anything else confuses me. Is it worth it to focus on other stats for the sake of this one thing? I’ve already been disappointed by putting so much effort into fai for the sake of Godrick’s Dragon Hand…

And I have Rennala’s rememberence just sitting there as none of my focused stats line up with its use. Do I sell it?

1 Like

I mean you can do anything you want. I just personally don’t think this version of Souls is going to be easy with a quality build unless you are extremely skilled at combat. It really helps to have some range.

My build is primarily Melee but I can cast lighting rods, heal, and also quickly 2 hand my weapon and can buff it with lightning which does crazy damage. I have a dragon tail sweep for AOE attack and then can also inflict rot with that dragon spell.

Thats just me right now. You should probably take on Radahn first and see how it goes with your preferred build. with a melee character you will need to get in close when possible, hop off the horse and get some licks in and then ride off.

1 Like