FromSoftware Games Thread

I was a statue casually crossing a mine…

That’s the beauty of it.

I was stuck on what happened to be the last fight for a couple days and became Elden Lord this morning. What an amazing experience, and I clearly missed a lot.

I’ll be starting fresh with a samurai for a dual uchigatana bleed build next rather than going for NG+, but am going to try tackling Dark Souls 3 before attempting that.

3 Likes

I’m stuck there too. Congratulations on becoming Elden Lord.

My main weapon is the uchigatana and I’ve had a second one for a while, but have stuck with my shield. I did try out dual katanas in a relatively safe area and the moveset was great fun, but I know I’d never survive. Dual wielding has never really clicked for me in any DS game, I guess I’m one of nature’s born blockers.

In update news, I beat Rennala and decided to celebrate by dealing with the Magma Wyrm in Gael Tunnels. Rennala took two tries (got one-shotted with a beam in phase 2), but the Wyrm killed me twice - that’s a tough fight for the space, even if it made an interesting contrast to the huge expanse of Rennala’s arena.

Almost fluffed the final Wyrm battle in classic DS style by suddenly remembering I hadn’t picked up my runes and getting clobbered while distracted. Also I tried the Kaiden Merc and Lhutel against the Wyrm, but as is so often the case it was the jellyfish who helped save the day. I could upgrade him to the next level, but I’ve only got one of the materials and I’m paranoid that if I do it, I’ll suddenly find a new set of ashes that I like more…

1 Like

definitely well aside from clunky combat the Skyrim is one of the most epic RPG fantasy games made next to the Ultima series.

I turned myself into a chair when I was playing online with my mate. He’d never seen it before and pissed himself laughing. :rofl:

2 Likes

There’s an attack from the Elden Beast that I just can’t learn to avoid…

Another fronline report, more I suppose for my benefit that anyone else’s (I should just buy a diary). Started wondering what the sensible next move would be after Rennala, and remembered there was an invasion sign outside the Academy. So I went and dealt with that, and followed up with the relevant NPC (once I found him). Then emboldened by that, I did the first assassin contract - no problems with either, presumably because I’m coming to them a bit late in proceedings… they both seemed to be suckers for Bloody Slash, though, so I like to think I could have taken them earlier.

Then I was close to another level up, so rather than raid my extensive emergency fund of golden runes, I went back to my favourite spot in Caelid to start another dog/soldier fight, but noting that the soliders seemed to be having an easy time of it recently I decided to try to lure in some more dogs. That worked fine, but the soldiers were still winning, so I started to wonder if I could aggro the nearby bird to get involved.

This was tense because, like everyone (I assume) I do not like the giant birds. But I gave it a shot, and it worked. However, it turns out the soliders absolutely mince it every single time - I triggered it a few times after, and every time one of them manages to do a massive amount of damage in one hit, so I think that the bird must enter a stunned state that the soldiers accidentally take advantage of (because they never do anything with the dogs when they’re stunned) - or else there’s a secret to taking down the birds that I haven’t sussed yet.

And i the course of all that nonsense I strayed a bit too far north and triggered one of those big shaggy characters on all fours with a big sword, and dealing with him led me to the south entrance to the town of sorcery, and an annoying giant abusing his elevated position, as well as a new quest.

So a pretty action-packed couple of hours, in all, with a couple of new routes to explore and also two new Volcano Manor contracts - it just keeps on opening up.

Now I’ve dealt with Rennala I have to decide whether I should respec so I can properly use the Moonveil… it’s tempting, and I can definitely scale back some unnecessary STR points. I’ve been putting a bit into ARC, though, and I am curious to see how that pans out… so I’m not sure. Is the Moonveil worth the investment? Is ARC? So far I’ve been putting my sombre stones into the Icerind Hatchet, which I do like, but I now have Hoarfrost Stomp as an equippable ash, so the hatchet seems less useful…

1 Like

Hey I just set the Elden Tree on fire and now the whole world is filled with these red sparks which is pretty annoying :slight_smile: Are they going to vanish after beating the game?

not until you start NG+

That big fat space whale arsehole has a couple of random moves he chucks in at times. Think I was on go 13 or 14 when a move happened I hadn’t seen before and then another new move maybe 4 or 5 goes later :joy:

You can get lucky but confusing the AI in certain ways though. When I beat him he was only doing one move and wasn’t particularly mobile.

Also, does the boss immediately before still have the cheese glitch? I’ll get to him again eventually in NG+ But dunno if I can be arsed beating him properly. He wasn’t that hard it was more the whole immediate lead into the end

Behold your new Elden Lord who will guide you into the age of the Stars.

(Full disclosure: to defeat the Elden Beast I had to cheese Radagon so I could summon the Mimic for the final stage)

2 Likes

Congrats! I got Age of Fracture so definitely missed some stuff haha. I had to go find a new summon I didn’t have because mimic tear wasn’t cutting it in that last battle.

Anyway, I said goodbye to my moonveil-mage yesterday and started fresh with a Samurai and the uchigatana just shreds enemies. Took out the first ruin camp near the gate with my first attempt, remembering how I needed to stay on Torrent to cheese the knight in my first playthrough.

Then I hopped into Dark Souls 3 and got obliterated. Points of grace are everywhere in Elden Ring but finding a bonfire in DS3 is a huge part of the reward, it seems.

Ended yesterday restarting Sekiro (was only a couple hours in but felt lost after a month away) and despite saying I’d stick to DS3 before getting into another game, I don’t think I can wait on Sekiro. It’s immensely beautiful and the combat is so satisfying.

2 Likes

I enjoyed my longsword and brass shield for most of my first playthrough but moved to dodge/rolling over blocking later in the game. Dual wielding sellsword twinblades in DS3 has been going well for me but only insofar as I don’t get hit.

Anyway I see you mentioned respecing to use Moonveil and I did it for the later portion of the game and it was worth it to get through the game the first time. I went all out on int (60-65), dex at 40-45, mind 25-30, then as much vigor and endurance as you need. Used with a carian regal scepter, I think it was called, and that exposed me to sorceries for the first time in the game and it helped a lot. Would switch to two hand moonveil on occasion, and it easily took down anything that got within range.

Arcane is supposed to go well with the uchigatana and bleed stuff though, so could be worth playing with that if you like your current moveset.

2 Likes

Interesting, cheers. I wasn’t planning on doing much with INT - saving that for another character. I’ve upped it enough to be able to cast a couple of spells just in case I find myself arrowless, but thinking about it I guess the Moonveil needs it for scaling (and presumably can’t be modified with the ashes / grindstones). I’ll probably hold off and see what other weapons turn up as I press into the capital…

So I loaded the game up for fifteen minutes, noted I’d saved in Raya Lucaria, and decided to explore the wheel a little. Ended up on a ledge area dead end with a surprise mob of the grabby boys and their wingéd pals. But they were tough! I was getting mobbed and doing very little damage, and things looked rough for a while. I cleared some space and took them out, wondering if I’d been hit with a debuff or stumbled into some horrible area I wasn’t meant to find. A few minutes later I came across a tricky dog and finally realised I was still using the Moonveil rather than my nice upgraded Katana.

Needless to say I was very pleased I’d decided not to tangle with the Iron Virgin at the bottom.

1 Like

I’ve started NG+ and plan to focus on quests I missed, as well as the two legendary armaments I missed. I’m glad I upgraded a ton of the best weapons before starting it, so I can easily respec and just play whatever build I want. I stocked up on stones too. Currently power stancing bleed curved swords. Early bosses are getting rekt. Gonna beeline to Renalla and grab larval tears along the way.

Also I put a 3060 ti in my PC :eyes:

3 Likes

I just found out, too late, you can heal spirit ashes with healing spells or warming stones…

1 Like

Eh. What?! Ffs! That could’ve got me through a few fights that I ended up grinding over😂

1 Like