FromSoftware Games Thread

I believe the ladder is the normal way. The way I went by accident was in the Raya Lucaria Academy in what I could only describe as the basement. Looking into it later, I found out that it’s a trap, kind of like the one in Limgrave that takes you to Caelid. (only it wasn’t a chest) I don’t want to spoil too much though.

1 Like

Ah, maybe. I went straight in the front door by completing Rya’s quest in the lake, but there are probably five other routes in places I haven’t even heard of yet…

I managed to find and beat Mohg in the sewers of Lyndell last night but I died right at the same time. He stayed dead but I didn’t get the runes, which was a pretty big bummer since it would have been a full level for me. I decided to take on the Fire Giant again and almost beat him but died right at the end and then couldn’t even get close on my next few attempts. Definitely not the most fun I’ve had playing this game.

Sorry, I was meant to reply instead I flagged your message by mistake!!!

If you try the hidden area behind Mohg, DO NOT GET NAKED TO OPEN THE DOOR AT THE BOTTOM!!!

2 Likes

I have a bit of Elden Ring fatigue. I’m 130 hours in, around level 150 and all I have to do is the final boss and or some high level mini boss and I just can’t be arsed.
I’ll summon some people to kill the last boss for me, sorry, I meant with me, then I’ll move until I feel like NG+ or maybe a brand new build, faith based.

This is a beautiful quote.

So I’m 70 hours in, still really enjoying it every time I pick it up. I had a chat with my mate with whom I’ve played all the FromSoft games since Demon’s Souls and we agreed that Bloodborne is our favourite one. Thing is, we love the intricate, level-based worlds that From are known for, and the incredible attention to detail of every object, item and enemy. In that respect we also prefer DkS1, Sekiro, DkS3 and Demon’s Souls. Elden Ring is spectacular but the situational storytelling is a bit weak as there’s so many things going on at once. Stormveil Castle was our favourite area, it’s fantastically well designed and exciting to explore. Love how vertical it is - scaling the lofty ramparts and diving into the dusty catacombs. Then you get to Castle Redmane or Castle Morne later on and are like ‘oh, is that it?’

1 Like

On reflection, I think Sekiro is still their masterpiece. It’s their finest “story” and so brick hard you have to commit massively to it to beat more than just 1 or 2 of the bosses. The euphoric highs were significantly higher (especially after that Isshin fight!)

having said that, I don’t think I’ve experienced anything quite like this first 12 or so hours in Elden Ring. Hard to put into precise words but the sense of adventure is unparalleled for me. The world building in general is amongst the very best and it’s a fantastic map to wander. Its just that everything doesn’t hangs together quite as well as I’d like.

But listen, I mean that only as a slight negative. Not some critical missing piece. Elden Ring is still comfortably one of the best games I’ve played. I wouldn’t be 150+ hours into it at level 213 and on journey 2 (and still finding new stuff) if I didn’t think of it very highly and if I wasn’t enjoying myself. Easily the best game I’ve played since… probably Sekiro! I think you could argue about From Softwares best game in much the same way you can argue Terminator/Godfather/Alien are/aren’t better than their sequels!

3 Likes

ER is starting to feel a bit, I don’t know, ‘bandy’ in places - for example, I get to Volcano Manor and before long I’m dealing with the giant hands from Caria Manor, for reasons that are unclear (but then things being unclear is part of the FS charm). I’m sure it’s unavoidable at the game’s scale, but things feel a little less coherent than in DS. But I also suspect that I’m starting to take the game for granted, you know? I’ve been playing it every day since launch and I haven’t played anything else, and while that’s testament to how great it is, it’s probably going to have an effect.

Anyway, took down the Magma Wyrm at the precipice last night, very chaotic rumble with two NPC summons and my Kaiden Merc. Probably paid for the overkill by confusing the Wyrm, making it very hard to read. But, inevitably, we dealt with it first time.

Then I went to Black Knife Catacombs, which I’d started before my save loss but hadn’t finished. Great little dungeon, and the final fight was pretty funny - trying to spot the boss among his skeleton chums, with my Kaiden pal knocking everyone around. Suddenly the boss leaps in front of me, attacking the Merc, and I hit him with a bloody slash - down in one and sudden calm. I barely even saw what he looked like.

Writing about it makes me want to load it up and play it, which I suppose is the ultimate test of whether it’s starting to outstay its welcome…

2 Likes

I think you’re on to something with the whole thing around playing it exclusively and intensely for such a long time that you take it for granted. Definitely similar for me. Still keep going back to it though :joy:

1 Like

Lol. I’m committed to enjoying and possibly beating a FromSoft game.

I just starter Sekiro. Difficulty scaling is on point- accomplishing things actually feels like an accomplishment so far.

AND…

There’s a TRAINING ZONE!

Thats enough for me- Sekiro > Elden Ring 100% :fire::fire::fire: (I’m still bad at the game)

2 Likes

I loved Sekiro was a blast and waiting for a big Steam sale to play Elden Ring. But the game I’m really patiently waiting for is the next Elder Scrolls successor to Skyrim. Skyrim is my all time favorite RPG next to Fallout 3.

Wait until you hear ‘For the glory of Ashina’ for the hundredth time…

4 Likes

Doing a wretch build in ER, level 30 atm with 25 vigor. Loretta is currently kicking my teeth in.

1 Like

Granted at some point I zone out, but I feel like I’ve gotten used to that after hearing “put these entitled ambitions to rest” for the 500th time

Just had a hilarious time in Volcano Manor, going over the rooftops. Massive cautious session getting past the big fella by the fire and the iron virgin, finally clear everyone out and discover a goblin gate on the way to the next area. Well, why not? I think. The door opens…

Spoiler

another iron virgin.

How I laughed. Well, I persevered past that somehow (arrows heavily depleted by previous efforts) and ploughed on - ah, just a couple of weedy enemies left to deal with, what a relief.

And of course five seconds later I was lying dead in a pool of poison, because I’d let my guard down. Thanks to the previous area I was carrying around an upgrade’s worth of runes, so I had to go back - skirted the worst of it, but almost got poisoned again on the way. Crucially, I saved my summon for the surprise guest and eventually recovered my runes. Then another fraught 15 minutes making my way to a site of grace, and by that point my nerves were jangling and I went back to the Church of Elleh to slaughter some helpless sheep. I must have fired off around 300 arrows of various types along the way.

1 Like

If elder scrolls had ‘souls’ style combat it would be the greatest game ever.

3 Likes

Good luck! The combat is what makes Sekiro so intense and fun and difficult. The concentration requires makes you feel like you’re having an actual swordfight, the zen-like calm you have to feel in order to deal with the barrage of blows makes the story concepts make sense. The level design is superb and the challenge is relentless.

1 Like

Next time you need to sneak past an enemy remember the humble mimic veil, it saved my ass plenty of times. Best time was using it to sneak past the spider thing guy in Stormveil castle. Just move slowly and when they’re not watching. Fun for all.

3 Likes

I used the mimic veil for the exact same thing! I love when it turns you into a box; it makes me laugh every time.

1 Like

Oh, I’d assumed that was meant for PvP invasions. Game changer! Thanks. Obviously I’ll fluff it up somehow at the worst possible time, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

1 Like