FromSoftware Games Thread

I used the iron flask on some bosses (not the lightning dragon, as it increases lightning damage) but on these rotted wyrms for the milicent quest line they helped a ton to not get pushed into the abyss.

1 Like

I just started NG++ and I opened the first imp statue for the very first time. Et voila, hero grave!
I had no idea!

1 Like

I didnā€™t know this thread existed because I have been playing Elden Ring for months instead of visiting this forum. :laughing:

7 Likes

Better than playing Elden Ring for months AND visiting this forum like me :joy:

. . . Oh well, at least itā€™s saved me from GAS

2 Likes

Havenā€™t touched this since I 100% it on my last NG++ run. It had completely killed off my desire for gaming for a period but then I learned that Rogue Legacy 2 was out at the weekend there and made the mistake of buying it (loved the first). Bad mistakeā€¦

Do FS usually leave it a long time before DLC appears? I donā€™t think I really want to return to ER until any DLC pops up but appreciate that could be a 2024+ thing. Also think Iā€™l wait until they patch it sufficiently to iron out the remaining wrinkles. Also appreciate that could be a 2024+ thing :joy:

1 Like

Same, but I went back to it yesterday just for a few minutes and started NG++ and got hooked again.

I absolutely loved the og Rogue Legacy but I havenā€™t heard great things about the 2nd, Iā€™ll still get it on day one once ported to the Switch.

Iā€™ve still been plugging away and am now at the Mountaintop of the Giants, having just encountered one of my favourite FromSoft experiences, the invisible bridge. Still loving it and still constantly staggered by the scale of it. I suspect in terms of square footage itā€™s not among the biggest worlds, but it definitely feels like it. Places like the capital where you have to give up your horse can mess with your sense of scale.

My daughter started it the other day - I donā€™t think sheā€™ll carry on, too stressful, but revisiting the start was fascinating. Iā€™d forgotten the tutorial boss was just a solider. She was playing an astrologer and completely hammered him with spells. She did much better than me against that first grafted monstrosity, too.

If you loved RL1 then I think youā€™ll love RL2. Reminds me of the changes Team17 made when they moved from Worms to Worms 2 a bit. More of the same, but tarted up a little and with a few bells and whistles added in. A total time pit thoughā€¦!

I say I think Iā€™ll wait to return to ER but no doubt Iā€™ll be back on it just hacking and slashing away. Just wonder if any potential DLC will effectively require the start of a NG. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s happened in the past where you can close DLC off by progressing too far. So my choices are either do it on NG+++, start again or pray any potential DLC can be accessible after battering the Elden Beast! Iā€™m getting way ahead of myself though with the DLC chat - itā€™s going to be ages away!

1 Like

I completed nearly everything in my first playthrough, so i just get the medallions and do the bosses, a ng+ takes me 3,4h including farum azula/ hailig tree (malenia). Its been very easy with the Rykards Sword on playthrough 2/3. To ramp the difficulty again i think one has to restart as wretch, or has to stay away from the op builds at least.

Well its good that its loosing its grab, more time for my mpc /syntakt combo.

1 Like

Iā€™m happy to feel a bit overpowered in my ng++ as Iā€™m now playing mostly for the exploration and the world itself rather than the gameplay and the challenge.

1 Like

Im on NG+ and felt overpowered at the start. But respecced to play more with strength/dex weapons, so that made me feel underpowered again. Im at a pretty high level, but instead of having 80 int, ive set something like 50/50/50/30 on st/dex/int/faith just to play with different weapons.

Ive seen alot of people call magic as easy mode. But ive beaten some of the bosses much easier with a big ass sword than as a mage.

The game feels completely different when doing a different playstyle. And it was nice to speed through parts on the ng as i wasnt that afraid of missing something. hehe.

1 Like

Damn, son - Farum Azula is not fazoolinā€™ around. :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

I think Iā€™m going through the standard bullshit with Elden Ring/FS

Frustrated early, then feeling pretty solid about how good it looks and I think I ā€œget itā€ā€¦ Things were super fun and I was leveling enough to work through all the early low level bosses and caves. Beat Margit and now just in an endless grind trying to level up very slowly to only get my ass kicked in Stormveil. Left that to try and work through the weeping peninsula just to lose a bunch of runes in a rat trap in castle morne. I get the appeal to intense gamers but this is just a drag right now. The early caves do nothing to prep for the harder castles/dungeons.

1 Like

Yeah it was my first and probably last real attempt at FS. I gave up at the Altus Plateau. The grind and constant frustration was becoming less and less fun. If youā€™re into FS gaming, itā€™s a stunning game, no question.

Edit: edited phrasing to remove reductiveness

2 Likes

FromSoftware games usually introduce skill checks at different points in games that force you to employ the skills / mechanics that FromSoftware intended you to play by. itā€™s actually to prevent you from progressing to harder sections of the game without having worked out how the game is intended to be played (as it will become increasingly difficult/impossible to prevail otherwise). In Elden Ring the nonlinear nature of the game makes this a little more difficult to ensure.

In general, if you feel you have to farm heavily for a section, youā€™re either underpowered for the section (ie its a later-game area and you should return to it later) or, more likely, you need to invest more into mastering the game play. Key to these games are rolling, reading attacking patterns (there are a few classes of enemies in the game in many different skins ā€” move sets and corresponding escapes/evasions/attacking patterns are consistent across those types), mastering timing as well as leveraging your equipment correctly.

Genichiro in Sekiro is an example for such a skill check. Up to that fight one can get by never deflecting (probably THE key mechanic in that game), but that boss fight cannot be won without deflectingā€¦I spent something like 20 attempts at that dude before I understood that I had been neglecting a core game mechanic up to that point. After that realisation it took a few more attempts and that was it. On my second playthrough I beat that boss in my first attempt.

I told a friend of mine recently that while I absolutely love Elden Ring, I donā€™t think itā€™s the best FS game to start with for a beginner (because of the open world aspect precisely).

4 Likes

Bloodborne is THE FromSoft classic in my opinion. Or the original Dark Souls. Both stunning games, each with a different take on the classic combat mechanics.

Iā€™m 120 hours into Elden Ring and Iā€™m at the first of two end bosses. Still have lots to do before taking them on. Will have the platinum trophy in my first run.

Itā€™s a solid game, though itā€™s not as polished as previous titles. No doubt due to its sheer scope. Definitely the best game Iā€™ve played in a long time though.

1 Like

For me Sekiro has my heart :)) Itā€™s so different but the game mechanics & combat mechanics in particular are unmatched. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You canā€™t unless you backup the save gameā€¦

This game was my first Platinum ever.

Fuck Genichiro and his ā€˜for the glory of Ashinaā€™ sentence. It drove me nuts.

Ultimately I gave up at the White Gorilla. Fuck him too.

And Ashina.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a wonderful game with stunning level design, the pinnacle of risk/reward in terms of combat. I personally found it the most mentally draining because of the combat - every aspect put strain on me, which fits thematically but I found took its toll on me. That said, it is an absolute masterpiece.

Indeed, which is exactly what I will be doing. :slight_smile: Itā€™ll be my mateā€™s first platinum trophy as well, he absolutely loves it haha.

Speaking of backing up my save, Iā€™ve been duplicating weapons with my mate for unbelievable dual wielding fun. Rocked two Bloodhoundā€™s Fangs for most of the game. My mate swears by two Godskin Peelers. Currently loving the Nightriderā€™s Glaive, looking forward to duping it.

1 Like