Funk related Question for the diehard Techno heads/

Oh go crazy with the microtiming, the groovier the better for minimal techno, just don’t mess too much with the downbeats on the kick :sweat_smile:

1 Like

:grin:

like this song could be even a lot funkier, if he wanted

on a thread side note nobody tried to sue him for this remix?

4 Likes

I think maybe the drums can be shuffly, organic, funky, and still feel like techno - if the phrases are short and repetitive. Like two bars. But what do I know.

2 Likes

So you’re also on the west coast.

yessir, home of the ‘don’t wear that color cap’ and the ridiculous car chase
not to go off topic in my own thread but what part of making sense is being famous for car chases and traffic wtf is wrong with you LA

ok back to funky techno

eeeeh, I’m in the home of the lots of green trees but overpriced latte mochachino’s driving up the cost of living cause these asshats already ruined the bay area and now they’re aiming to take over my town too.

Think they can drive up the cost of living here just cuz they’re willing to commute to their high paying jobs.

WELL MAYBE THEY CAN.

Ahem. Juno reactor - not funky.

Totally

that is how it works, I guess I’ve gotten irritated at times but never mad we’re a nomadic species after all… sometimes I wonder if stagnation even leads to healthy minds, bodies, souls, and places

1 Like

how do you keep minimal techno from sounding like minimal house lol?
maybe the less organic the sounds

By not using chord progressions, not having a lot of melodies, being more repetitive, no Rhodes, no clap on the 2 and 4, dark atmospheric sounds

And yes, using sounds that are cold in nature

2 Likes

This - can’t get much funkier at least in my book. Masterly repetitive, groovy as hell funk dripping techno. Not knowing your preferred style of “techno”, such a broad term. Could also be called House :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Interesting topic! I‘d really love to hear some examples of what people might think of as funky techno.
First thing I thought of was this:

Especially the groove that starts in the later half.

3 Likes

You can take the garage route like Blawan. Still very very techno :slight_smile:

There used to be a deep sub genre of techno that was/is called funky techno. Less popular now though.

2 Likes

Yeah, super interesting field of techno music. Gonna check your example later. I’d suggest checking out stuff by Will & Ink, Yaleessa Hall, Temudo and Roman Lindau. I think they pretty much nail the fusion between funk / groove and Techno.

Edit: Yeah, Dave. Blawan is amazing as well. Certainly developed his very distinct sound. I still frequently listen to Fram / Iddy.

2 Likes

Here’s an article I read recently: The Battle Over Techno’s Origins | The New Yorker

It mainly talks about Detroit’s fight for identity as the root of techno. In the article you’ll read about Kraftwerk being in the audience at an early Jeff Mills show in Europe. Mills and other UR heads chatted with them, wanting to talk with their heroes. It goes on to discuss how there’s a line of inspiration and emulation that goes: Little Richard -> James Brown -> Kraftwerk -> The Bellville Three. Each later one trying to capture something of the former. So Kraftwerk were trying to make soul (and pop, I guess), through their machines; and Jeff Mills is too. They say “Kraftwerk were so stiff they were funky”. A lot of the later Parliament records are super tight, really stiff. Techno lifts from disco as much as house… if you dig into the roots.

Having cited my sources, I propose the argument that you can make techno as funky as you like.

There’s loads of techno from the 90s and 00s with swing, with jazz elements, with disco and funk samples. Breakbeats are less common, but definitely make an appearance across 100s of records. I personally find it odd mixing grid-tight four-to-the-floor with bar-long breaks (even through my 90s rave days)… but lifting snares and hats, or adding swing can make a groove really move.

6 Likes

Those that wish to market their music to people that might want to buy it? :slight_smile:

I search for new records by genre, would be quite difficult if all Soul was in the Jazz section.

3 Likes

Even with some weak spots, that’s a good article, showcasing the roots of techno. I agree that techno can be quite funky, though in a subtle way.

Yeah it’s a real problem that, people miscategorising genres and of course YouTube makes the matter worse when people upload compilations of stuff that isn’t even representative of the genres they’re pushing them as to the listeners.

I’m not a die-hard by any means, but regards the original question: I tend to think of Funk as being acoustic and Techno as being electronic. I’ve never thought of either genres as being the opposite even if technically the Wah used on Funk and the Filter Sweep used on Techno are both modulated filters, so from that standpoint at least, I suppose ‘Funk Techno’ would be legit.

2 Likes

I’d suggest you listen to this: Spiral Tribe - Crystal Distortion - Chip Jockey Liveset 2002 - YouTube lots of different influences but funky & techno it is, amongst other things.

1 Like

If u’re looking for funk in techno, Detroit Techno is full of it :slight_smile:

7 Likes