Funk related Question for the diehard Techno heads/

is it the case that the funkier you make your techno groove the less techno it becomes, or can you make it as funky as you wanna make it, talking James brown levels of funk and it still be straight techno?

and mostly I’m talking about the drum element

5 Likes

i guess funky groove is not robotic enough )
anyway, will read the comments from real techno heads because i’m nowhere near.

hm that’s interesting, I hadn’t thought of the robotic descript, so in the purest techno one might be trying to be on the grid as much as possible?

I think there’s a certain degree of “french fries are made from potatoes” where you can’t exactly say the goal of a french fry is to be made from a potato. if that makes sense.

2 Likes

it’s 1:55Am over here I’m gonna need a little help for that one? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Totally depends on your definition of Techno.

There was a time when techno was a term for any kind of electronic music.

1 Like

I guess whichever definition became the prevalent consensus… or whatever it might be perceived of today in it’s purest form… I do remember it being used as looser term but seems like the narrowing of that comes and goes… now I’m digressing lol…
anyway so then the question would be is there a strain of techno that would strive to be as least funky as possible in it’s ethos or result there of?

Who cares? Music is music. Like what you like. Everything else is pointless pontificating bollocks

6 Likes

That was a time of ignorance. Term only used like that by those who didn’t even listen to electronic music.

2 Likes

no worries , I’m not afraid, it’s harmless

this isn’t a which is better thread, this is about technic, like if you took a straight up techno groove and replaced just the drums with a much funkier version of the exact same beat would it still be techno to most or would it not be important… within this context…

defining techno is kinda against the idea of techno, there’s grooveless techno with no percussion of any kind, there’s borderline house groove techno, there’s hardcore techno with square kicks… no rules, up to you really, if you wanna call it techno who’s gonna say otherwise?
imo the only thing that should somewhat be present in techno is repetition of something, anything, otherwise it’s your canvas and call it whatever you want.

2 Likes

To answer your question, it can be as funky as you want in the drums, and it will still be techno in the purest form. If the vibe is right to begin with.

1 Like

thanks, was just about to ask you which term you were referring to the term funky or robotic.

re: term… oh I got it… , yeah I guess that happens with anything electronic

If you’re asking about what i wrote a few posts up, I was referring to the term techno meaning all electronic music. That’s what people who didn’t listen or like electronic music were calling everything.

1 Like

I should come clean, I’m not the diehard techno fan anymore. I’m all about house now. :joy:

But, i mean, can you share an example of what you mean with very funky drums played on a drum machine?

I’ve always gravitated towards minimal techno, but have wondered how well extremely funky minimal techno would be received as techno

I wouldn’t use a drum machine, I’d use a drum sampler that allowed microtiming or off grid timing… but I’m not talking about different beats, I’m talking about changing the feel of beats you’re used to hearing in whatever kind of techno you listen to

That sounds like something I would like a lot! To me, a lot of Ricardo Villalobos stuff is very funky and I’m all for it. The Latin influence sound of cadenza is also funky to me and i love it as well. The thing is the more organic stuff you put into your techno, the more it starts to sound like something else. This is not so much an issue in minimal, though, where i think it is more forgiving, and the tendency isn’t so much marked by the sound but by the vibe of the track. You can use the same sounds and arrive at a minimal house or a minimal techno track, they would sound very different in the end, despite using the exact same source sounds.

2 Likes

yes

ah repetition is key

2 Likes