Gated Reverb?

Hello!

I’m asking around to see if anyone has a method of creating some gated reverb?

Thank you!

Hi again! I’d be curious if others have found different approaches, as I haven’t used it much.

For snares on the 2 & 4 (steps 5 & 13 on the sequencer), for instance, my approach has been to parameter-lock the FX track sequencer in parallel to that, or else to use an LFO that triggers on those steps. You can, say, just lock high settings for Reverb Decay etc on step 5 & 13, then turn it back down with another lock a step or two later. If you did a single or half-cycle LFO on the FX block on the 5 & 13, you could have it ramp up and sink down or something like that.

I think this is closer to true gated reverb than parameter-locking reverb sends on the machine tracks themselves, but a combination might work well, too.

3 Likes

You could also use the FX track exclusively for this… It needs a bit of setup though.

Set a long decay to the reverb in the reverb setup screen.
On your track, in the AMP page, set the reverb send to a fairly high value.
In the FX routing page, (FUNC + FX), set only the reverb to go through it.
Then on the FX track, set the AMP envelope mode to AHD (non-inverted) with DEPTH set to MAX. On the FX track’s sequencer, place trigs where you want to hear the reverb come through.
You can then shape the reverb using the amp envelope on the FX track, to get that timing right.

13 Likes

Aha! I’d been sort of scratching my head about the purpose of the AHD and ADSR envelopes there … thanks for this!

2 Likes

You can use the FX track as a sequenced gate that way. This can be useful for a multitude of things, such as putting a rythm on a drone, for example.
Or by using the same technique I described above, you could simulate a delay (by having the reverb’s decay real long) creating uneven delay taps by triggering the gate in odd places on the sequencer, using a different track length on the FX track, etc.

Edit: I forgot to add that retrig works on the FX track too…

3 Likes

Yes… this is great! I was just asking Humanprogram about how to use the FX Block… I just got a Syntakt, and Im still new to the Elektron Workflow.

Thank you for the great info

1 Like

Yes, I appreciate the retrig on the FX track, allows for 1/4 note amp-ducking or the like alongside punch-in FX scenes (auditioning p-locks). And these other ideas sound fun to experiment with, thanks!

1 Like

But youre unable to sequence the retrigs, right, so you would have to live play them while recording into your DAW?

There’s a little menu for sequencing retrigs — press the trig you want to edit and the up or down arrow (it says RTRG).

1 Like

Oh cool… I was watching one of the big youtubers talking about that as a gripe, not being able to sequence trigs… thats cool that you can

This is kind of a workaround to your using FX locked with Prob 0 while also ducking, isn’t it? Like if it can be caressed enough

1 Like

Totally—with the retrig LEN set to 64 (or sequence length) and RATE set to 1/4, it’ll start ducking on quarter notes again every time you hit this trig.

1 Like

Perfect! Thank you! Ive been using Ableton for snares but this solved the problem

2 Likes