Gear that is art

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza is delicious, but like the Red Panda, there seems to have been some kind of naming error. Chicago bready lasagna doesn’t quite have the right ring. Maybe double-inverted Calzone?

I’m low carb these days, so the distinction is rather academic.

4 Likes

I love many styles of Pizza. There is another type of pizza in Chicago that is often overshadowed by the deep dish, and that is tavern style. Tavern style is thin crust, and it came out of the south side. I am also a big fan of Detroit Style, luckily we have a couple good places to get that here. I am also a fan of New York style, and there are a couple places have a decent slice here. That is the best slice to grab on the go. And yes, I do also enjoy Chicago Style Deep Dish. One of the better comfort foods on a cold Midwest winters night. What can I say, I love pizza!

1 Like

These days food options are a lot better than even ten years ago, regional dishes are still great and certainly bad food can be found anywhere, but the internet really has helped set expectations higher. Sure there’s Yelp and novelty cronut fads and food trucks and all that, but going from Rachel Ray-ish “foodies” to giving people the opportunity to champion excellent food has paid off.

Tesco Value style mate.

Bellissimo.

1 Like

Well I don’t know that one, but I will try any pizza once.

Chicago deep dish isn’t pizza.
It’s lasagna.

No, it is definitely pizza.

But, I would love to know the qualifications that makes something pizza.

1 Like

@obscurerobot can fill you in
But pizza doesn’t require a dish

Well I don’t need a dish to grab a slice of deep dish. In fact, I have many a times grabbed a slice of deep dish from Art of Pizza, and went upon my night noshing.

Don’t be fooled, you can eat a slice of deep dish the same way you can eat any other slice.

1 Like

Curious how they make it then or why it’s named after a type of dish. :wink:

1 Like

I suppose it’s named after the type of dish it is cooked in, not eaten from.

I see. So it’s required.

It’s all good. Where I live, they sell these round things covered in sauce, cheese, and all sorts of other toppings. They call it pizza but I dunno wtf it is.

2 Likes

Well you certainly don’t have to give specifics, but I’m always curious to know where different pizzas come from.

“NYC” Pizza is one thing - ultra thin, crispy crust, a thin layer of molten sauce, a thin layer of thermonuclear cheese and of course as much garlic, parm and dry peppers as you can load onto the slice before you fold it and scald your esophagus.

Chicago Deep Dish is an entirely different dish. There are carbs and cheese and sauce in the Deep Dish, but it is an entirely different experience. A Monomachine is filled with chips, capacitors and resistors. So is an MC-303, yet they are not the same.

My real beef is the fast food “pizza”. I shouldn’t have slandered Chicago by comparing it to an MC-303 - Pizza Hut, Dominoes, etc. are the real MC-303s here.

Chicago Deep Dish is clearly of Chicago. NYC pizza is clearly of NYC. Few other modern dishes are as bound to location as these two. I suppose I’m calling out Chicago because there is no other worthy competitor.

4 Likes

California is a flyover state to me.

1 Like
8 Likes

A Verde custom made Vari-Mu compressor with an added knob for attack and a 3-position switch for 10x faster and 10x slower attack ranges plus the original speed. Also an added mode switch for selecting another pair of tubes for different sound and behaviour. I had this initially to see if it fits my setup and the modifications were needed before I could really tell. Now there is no question anymore, it stays here forever. :slight_smile:

Sounds so damn good and with the added features it can do very extreme compression besides the silky natural stuff when used gently. It really brings this very open and serious sense of space into the material, almost reminds me of the In Utero (and other Steve Albini) drum room-mic sounds. Tons of gravity but stays very musical and tasty even with dumb settings.

I think I’ve got my dream singal chain for tracking and re-amping complete and I will be exploring it a lot during the winter. I intend to keep the house warm with vacuum tubes.

10 Likes

TINRS

3 Likes

Harry Partch’s hand made instruments

24 Likes

just found this thread, and yeah…dima is genius

https://vtol.cc/

5 Likes