Gear that is art

10 Likes

Nice! I’ve always been smitten by the small rangefinder format of that era, which is why I ended up with the X100F. It would be a Leica if I could afford them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah ! Leica… :slight_smile: I used to lust after the oldschool M1 model. But somewhere along the way I had to choose between photography and music as I don’t have the means (let alone the time !) to pursue both.

Edit: This website has the best name.

1 Like

i know i’m a sick puppy

3 Likes

3 Likes

Not just looks but also functionality. Moog Guitar!

5 Likes

so many beauties

consumer fetish is a stranglehold

Machinedrum such a beauty.

6 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

Best camera design ever.

8 Likes

Alternative title of the thread could be Design synthesisers, a collection of iconic synths, revolutionary synthesisers, art of Design etc.
Objects made for playing.

I just wanted to take a minute to mention a thought about design, because someone is confusing the so called fine arts. Also design is an art.

DESIGN IS A NOUN
Unless you live in the wilderness, you are a resident of a human-made environment. Everywhere you look, you can find something that is designed. From the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep, you are sure to encounter design in your everyday life. We are surrounded by design, whether it be objects, spaces, landscapes and streetscapes, or communications or transportation systems.
Design is not an instantaneous act or event. Sidewalks and streets do not fall from the sky and land in their proper places. Our toothbrushes do not magically appear in our hands when we need them. Someone is responsible for all the things we consume, use, and interact with everyday. Every moment, we encounter a set of solutions to a problem that has been considered by someone.

Synthesisers considered industrial design like computers for example

DESIGN IS A VERB
“Design” does not only refer to places and things; it is also the process of planning, evaluating, and implementing a plan or solution to a problem. Designers often start with a problem: For example, I want an object that makes sound.

In modern design, each problem is considered to carry the germ of its own solution—full comprehension of the needs to be fulfilled will indicate the form of the design. . . . The responsibility of a modern designer thus becomes understanding his problem as thoroughly as he can and solving it as directly as he can. Modern designers do not wish to overcome conditions, they wish to meet them. Functions, materials, techniques, the environment and psychology of users—these are not to be circumvented or forced, they are guides to right design. [found those inspiring notes from moma.org]

So there are synths that form follows its function, means that first is design the circuit and then the box, e.g. the beautiful Lyra 8 or other synths that first is designed the box and then stuffed e.g. the Op-1

So why do you considered a synth as an iconic design product? Is how it feels how you play, how they sound , it’s functionality or how they look or the perfect balance of all the above ?

3 Likes

I know this headstock is metal a.f., but I just see boobs.

3 Likes

Another title for this thread could also be “Things That Aren’t Pizza”.

2 Likes

Or balls! But yeah, metal AF :raised_hands:

1 Like

I’m sure pineapple will work on some of this stuff

1 Like

Something new from Love Hultén.

The CRT is an oscilloscope, and the thing on the right is a glowing brain.

Maybe i could add a plasma ball brain to my Hydrasynth Explorer redesign ?

6 Likes

Soon available on Facebook for £50 :joy:

8 Likes

A hill I’m willing to die on: a printed circuit board is closer to pizza than most things advertised as pizza sold more than a kilometer west of the Hudson River.

I live in Chicago, so I can’t get on board with that opinion.

1 Like