Gear that is art

Sorry to point this out, but the monome grid and arc are OSC controllers (via serialosc) and not MIDI. There are many applications (computer, norns) that convert that OSC to MIDI. Just thought it would be good to say that the grid and arc are not sending out MIDI.

3 Likes

The best yet from Love Hultén.

And the operation of this synth is art as well. Check out the event turntable on the right.

I even like the lab coat by the performer in the video. The large round screen oscilloscope is cool.

And all of it Airyck Yellow !

This article goes over the components used in this system.

16 Likes

I would add Soma instruments and Make Noise to music as art.

4 Likes

I don’t understand how he cranks projects out so quickly. An army of elves? What?

I have no clue.

Here’s another from him released today, the NES-SY37.
( 3 minute video )

This one has internals from an NES console with a polyphonic NES Poly Chiptune Synthesizer combined with a Commodore SX-64 portable. There is other stuff like a spring reverb and more.

Combination videogame machine and synth seems commercially viable, to me.

Read about it here:

6 Likes

Waterphone, but there must be better pix somewhere.

To me, the most beautiful/appealing/sexy synths.
Wood & tech :sparkling_heart:

Modor NF-1, Nonlinear Labs C15, Waldorf Quantum, Analog Solutions Colossus, TE OP-1

And, in Eurorack, all Folktek and Instruo modules :cupid:

6 Likes

I acquired one of these earlier this year : it’s probably the most beautiful instrument I’ve ever owned. It feels it too … the knobs & switches are just… :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

2 Likes

SynTesla VII

I posted earlier about another synth done by Pierre-Jean Tardiveau. With every go round he is getting better. Look at this one :

Very much in the Steam Punk style, with this one reportedly based on the Korg “Logue” ARM architecture, though it is unclear the exactly what that means. He also likes to work with arcs and sparks in plasma, hence the name “Tesla”.

This is a real inspiration to all the tinkerers.

Some commercial synth maker should consider commissioning him for a design, that is if he would be interested.

There is a web-site but it is tremendously out of date.

https://amazing-objects.com

There is also an article at SynthAnatomy.

1 Like

sadly won’t go into production… wrote the guy to maybe get some info how to DIY

10 Likes

Spotted gear that is art in the wild.
Midi Fighter 3D used on a sculpture at Meow Wolf. There were quite a few of these in this installation, controlling lights and sounds.

5 Likes

Everything is Terrible?

doggie woggiez poochie woochiez

1 Like

Meow Wolf is so mind blowing. Love that place. Were you at the OG Santa Fe?

I’m watching Benn Jordan’s video on 6 of the finalists from the 2022 Guthman Musical Instrument Competition, and thought the FM pendulum thing looked familiar!

This was Denver.
worth the visit.

This is only a concept but fun to look at. A west coast lunch box synth.

The Opto by Rob Eris

2 Likes

I saw this Googling around because of the latest SynTesla synth. ( thread )

2 Likes