Glitchy/Grainy Rhythmic

Hello dears,
recently I got the duo MD/MM and started to work with them extensively.
I am just impressed on the way those machine allow me to tweak parameters so easily(not the same as my previous configuration with two Electribe MX/SX).

I am particularly interested into create what people call IDM music with a particular care on grainy/micro looped BD/HH/SD. These drums would be partially integrated with a solid background of drum grooves along the tracks/live sets I am conceiving(I will post soon a preview of my first work when satisfied).
For an example of what I am talking about the glitchy drums, just think about the VST “Glitch” or take various tracks from Autechre, Richard Devine but also this can be a lucid example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr-ZS5PqW24

Obviously I don´t ask for a complete tutorial(then I could just do cut and copy from any IDM track!), as I am looking for starting points to work easily and have fun into create my patterns!

My first general idea is that I would not use the internal master effects of the MD but I would like to route the drum destined to be glitched into the MM input and then add an external effect device that can do this grainy effect, I was thinking about the Korg KP3 for its easy to use on live performances. But I am open to any suggestion about external hardware FX! I would prefer to stay out of the laptop initially!

Not exactly an explanation but here’s something I recorded a few weeks back that is similar to what you describe. Happy to explain stuff if you have questions :slight_smile:

MnM’s BBOX
with the 4 synth parameters (PTCH, STRT, RTRG, RTIM) all parameter locked or LFO automated is glitch heaven.

Also, the arpeggiator on drum tracks works wonders.

Good luck!

This is a great live set!

if the md is a uw unit you can throw in your samples (even resample md synthesized drumshots) and then make a heavy use of rtg and rtm, rtg sets the number of times the sample is retriggered before playing to the end, rtim sets the speed of the retriggering (as everything in the elektrons it is time locked, so you can easily have retriggers in time, using values such as 4,8,12,16.24,32,48,64,72,96,127)
having lfos controlling decay time and\or pitches is of great value too…in general keeping your decays pretty tight is a good starting point. you can even resample on the fly certain sounds and have them played back with huge processing like heavy pitchdowns, filtering, delay, 'verbs…
this way you can have your basic drum hits being resampled and transformed in clouds of granular drones and shit…

1 Like

hello hyena,
it is an old md mk1, not uw but always a great quality gear… i found the rtg/rtm options in some built-in machines available, those are actually what does it recall me a bit what i am looking for…

Really cool!