Good Enough Sound For Club?

Hello!

DJs in Stockholm are starting to play some of my tracks in club/rave settings, and I wonder if you could help me determine whether or not this new song which I tried to “master” myself is good enough quality-wise for a club system?

Or do I have to send it away for external mastering?

Thank you so much for your help!

(I hope you like the song, too! It is made with Analog Four, Analog Rytm, Octatrack and Bass Station 2)

great track. sound very nice to me … . I don’t think you should worry to much about how well it translate to a club system, just make sure that its loud enough (compared to other tracks) and that there aren’t any crazy spikes that would blow the subs.

Sounds bouncy and nice. Couldn’t hear anything that wouldn’t translate well to a PA. Got a lot of bass, but usually DJs know how to use their EQs.

If you would do a vinyl release I’d recommend proper professional mastering. If it’s digital distribution only, take the track as it is.

Don’t worry too much about loudness, dynamics are essential, especially on PAs! If you want to attract more people listening to stuff on shitty laptop speakers or dre’s shitty beats-headphones then use some limiter like the L2 to make it sound flat but loud… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hello, thank you so much for your feedback! That means a lot. I can move forward with a bit more confidence now.

RMS is more than ok.

In general it sounds good for club.

If you want to get into fine details, there is a high resonance fast sweep that comes from time to time that sounds a bit un-glued from the mix.

Solutions:

A) make those fast sweeps less present in the mix by reducing its high freq content or lowering its level.
B) Rise a bit the very high end (> 10Khz) of the rest of the mix.

bit pipey here and there… bass shakes my room

Is the latter a good or a bad thing from your perspective? Like should I maybe try to EQ so that there is less bass? Thank you!

Thank you very much Gbravetti for the detailed feedback! I’ve thought about that sound too. Thing is that I am recording everything live in one take and I can’t go in after having recorded and change a specific sound unfortunately. Only EQ the master, and if I take away too much highs it takes away from the overall mix. But I did remove the top frequencies and that helped at least a little bit.

Is the latter a good or a bad thing from your perspective? Like should I maybe try to EQ so that there is less bass? Thank you!
-[/quote]
the bass is fine … just found it to be too high pitched on some occasions which I did not like … I was listening with yamaha hs8 … overall solid production

-[/quote]
the bass is fine … just found it to be too high pitched on some occasions which I did not like … I was listening with yamaha hs8 … overall solid production[/quote]
Okay, thank you for telling me, Trabant. I will take that into account next time! Your input means a lot.

Sounds great to me, on studio headphones at least.
Agreed on the hi res sweepy things.
Nice live track:)

Like your sound, keep mastering your own tracks!