Good sequencer / sampler for Ableton?

Maschine Mk3 is the fastest sampler and sequencer that I’ve ever used. Never really used it within Live, but it can be done.

1 Like

I’ve done this and much prefer it for workflow over using built in Ableton drums (which are fantastic, but induce option paralysis in me).

I use 2 VST’s as my dedicated drum machines in Ableton:

• XLN XO
  • Sugar Bytes DrumComputer

Both are 8 track, which I prefer to keep me focussed, and both have built in 16-step sequencers, which I prefer for drums over the regular Ableton piano roll. I find they compliment each other perfectly for what I want.

XO is the more orthodox/bread and butter sample based option, which is also a fantastic sample library manager.
I use it to get moving fast, then export a bunch of variations out as either midi or audio when I’m ready. Exporting either is really simple (one shots, loops, stems, etc).

DrumComputer is more complex and allows for more intricate sound design using a combo of synths/samples per drum track. It can get pretty wild sounding if you want to, but you can also set it up to just play samples or midi.
It’s sequencer is superb… very Elektron-esque and gives you lots of modulation/movement options. It gives you probability, randomisation (of nearly everything), polymeters, etc.

Hardware wise I also use a Syntakt and an Analog Rytm mk2, I will tend to work on these externally up to a point, then use Overbridge to bring them into Ableton.

The workflow between my Elektrons is now really similar to how I use XO/DrumComputer (especially DrumComputer with its superb sequencing).

2 Likes

Try to get a used Push 1 and see if it works for you. They can be bought pretty cheap. Here in Germany one guy is selling it for 130,-€
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/ableton-push-1-controller/2232992574-74-3353

2 Likes

Quick queston on this setup. Looking at the quality of the sequencer, I could see the XO/Atlas process we’re discussing in the other thread being reversed - that could also be really useful. With XO it’s about desiging a kit and then creating groove & variation around that. Super useful. But I guess you could reverse this with DC, by creating a more complex groove using all the sequencer goodness in DC, export to MIDI, then use XO/Atlas purely as a kitbuilder for the MIDI export. Is that something you’ve done? Looking at the manual it talks about making sure you hold your mouse own to complete the export, so maybe not quite drag & drop as XO?

I mainly ask because I find a similar workflow in Ableton useful (but it comes without sequenced goodness.) I found a good way to contain options paralysis is to only allow myself to throw the Drum Machine Selector on a track and go from there. Often, this isn’t the sound I’m going for but for my type of music, it gives me a basic feel of what the track might be like in terms of rhythm without diving into sound design or sample selection.

1 Like

Sort of… I find it easier to just load the samples into DC’s sample engine and do it from within there.
Alternatively, just output the midi info and rearrange that into XO’s layout.

The way XO is laid out as Kik 1, Kik 2, Snr, Cl HH, Op HH, etc…, well DC never really seems to follow that format… it’s kits are way less orthodox than XO’s, which is what I like about it. So DC’s strengths tend to be in it’s sounds and it’s sequencer for me.

DC’s midi export is good too… I like how you can export up to 64 bars and it’ll generate all the humanisation, randomisation and auto-fill functions into the file.

Also, I’ve now added Audio Moderns’ Playbeat 3 and Loopmix into my drum arsenal in Ableton.
Those plugins cover a lot of ground between them.

1 Like

Cheers, this all makes sense. Is it mapped to the drum rack like XO is? I’ve got Playbeat on trial (Loopmix looks a lot of fun too) and I’m also comparing Playbeat with the M4L devices that are out there, but it’s really impressive so far. In an ideal world I’m hoping to keep it to a couple of devices for laying drums down. Based on this, I’m going to take Drum Computer for a spin and see how it works from an exporting perspective. That sequencer with all those features could be a clincher in tandme with the sample management of XO.