Good sequencer / sampler for Ableton?

Looking for a relatively cheap sampler / sequencer for Ableton. Basically looking to speed up the process of arranging my tracks. What would you recommend using?

Ableton is already pretty good at sequencing and sampling. I’m not sure that a 3rd party plugin or external hardware device will speed up the process much although a decent MIDI controller like Push 2 is a plus.

8 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure there’s another way to speed things up other than practice using Live.
Key commands, muscle memory

3 Likes

Yes I actually should’ve explained it better. I’m looking for a workstation to use with ableton, like I have an Oxygen 49 (Standard midi keyboard) but it’s fairly basic and would like something a bit more advanced.

Is the push really worth the price?

1 Like

Push or Launchpad works fine. You also can assign clips to keys on your normal typing keyboard and use them to launch clips / arrange your track. You really don’t need much else if you know Ableton inside and out. I personally have a Push and almost never use it.

1 Like

Id say push is definitely not worth the price.
I’m probably one of the few that thinks so.

I’d look into Bomes Midi Translator, and clyphX.
With Bomes you can customize midi information going from your controller to ableton.
For example, you can make a key pressed down execute a bunch of commands in a series, and the key release execute a bunch more. Like hotkeys on steroids.

I haven’t used ClyphX in years, but it uses clips and the way you name them to perform various complex functions in Live.

There’s also Max for Live.

When you start to learn those things you can basically make your own “Push” controller.
All Push does is execute functions in Live. Most commands are available to any other device.
The only reason people get push is because it’s already tailor made to perform these functions. It just uses a remote script.
Any controller can access these kinds of scripts.
Essentially Push is just a very expensive midi controller.

Certainly there are other controllers out there that are much cheaper and offer similar ready made access to these things in Ableton.
Like a launch pad

It’s totally subjective and depends on your use case but in my opinion, Push 2 is well worth the money. If I was on a tighter budget, I’d get a Launch Pad Pro.

1 Like

The original APC40 sells for about 100 bucks

Appreciate the feedback!

I’ve also got a launchpad standard edition which I rarely use so maybe I’m just chasing the perfect setup that doesn’t exist👀

I would probably be best off getting rid of that & the oxygen 49 for whatever cash and invest in something that doesn’t take up my whole desk / easy to travel with….

I got a Midi Fighter Twister.
Best midi controller I’ve ever come across.
There’s tons of info, scripts, and customizable ideas for it.
As far as a midi controller it’s unique, small, and super powerful.
I’d say it’s worth the price. That plus a launch pad seems like a way better set up in my eyes.

Push controllers are very pricey.
I just cant get over that part, when there’s other options that do essentially the same thing.
In 5 years people will be selling Push controllers for 100-200 bucks too.
Then it would be worth it to me.

I’ll check out that controller among other ones listed above and see what would most suit my workflow (The buying curse never leaves you).

I do have to look into more features of max & maybe change some of the methods that are currently slowing me down when trying to put stuff together.

On a different note…… would you recommend a VST for drums? I have D16 Punchbox but kind of bored of it now.

I was looking through some of Rob Papens stuff as I’ve previously bought some of his VST’s but can’t decide.

Thanks for all the info so far!

I personally quit messing with Ableton for music.
Elektron boxes have replaced it completely.
Part of the reason I like Elektron devices so much.
Coming from years of using Ableton, they are each like a little piece of Live in a box.
After years of use my muscle memory makes them feel way faster and more fun than Live.
That said, years of using anything diligently should produce the same result.
Mastering a controllers remote scripts can provide that.

2 Likes

100% this. Dig deep into what’s bothering you about your current “ways”. This’ll really help you understand what you want. You might come up with really interesting gear wants-lists; you might find new tricks in Ableton are enough.

Treat it as fun or a creative challenge. Gamify it. Make music that actively addresses the problem. Maybe you struggle with chords or progressions, so explicitly tell your musical stories without them, or go off and learn a bit more theory and re-approach the chords again. (Chords here is just an example from my own list of “I wish it were easier…”)

1 Like

Okay well now your going to think I am mental…… I also have an OTII which I will never sell because they are amazing machines!

I never take that from my home and that’s kind of why I’m looking for something to take with me when I’m traveling.

1 Like

The last thing I gotta ask… Would you buy a VST to use as a standalone drum machine for Ableton or just make the most out of what I have already?

1. see my previous answer
  2. I am not qualified to answer that question. Whilst I have used Ableton in the past and still have a v10 Suite licence, I literally and figuratively bought into the DAWless trend about 20 months ago and haven’t looked back. It works for me but it’s expensive and I can’t recommend it as a path for anyone else.

Ableton is definitely enough, that said this plugin and it’s developers are Quality in motion.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use Ableton without a Push 2, but it’s not perfect and could use an update.

1 Like

I had a Push 2, but ended up still using the mouse and keyboard for certain tasks, as it’s just faster, so I sold it. I think the Digitakt is a perfect pairing for Ableton because you get the tactile feel of hardware, along with the superb Elektron sequencer, but the DT’s midi tracks allow you to control anything you can map to it, and it’s ability to be an audio interface means it’s really the only box you need in tandem with Ableton.

1 Like

@GARP any chance you have an iPad? I love using Drambo as an external sequencer for Ableton. If you have a Mac running Ableton just connect the iPad via USB and select it via the midi audio tools app and you’re off to the races.

There are so many great sequencers on the iPad that you’ll be sequencing like mad in no time.

Fwiw i also find the OP-Z a pretty nice sequencer for Ableton. Here’s a video i did a couple years ago showing this workflow:

Let me know if you want to see something like this with the iPad.

Cheers

Oh wait just saw that you have an OTMK2. Use that. Just get the iConnect Mio Midi to USB cable and you’re good to go. 8 Tracks of Midi sequencing goodness of Ableton…and heck, resample it all back in to the OT.

2 Likes