Great information source

The stiff pads have come up a few times in this thread, so I’d just like to point out that a few people have had luck compensating with a simple layer of tape underneath them. I did this with gaffer tape on mine. It worked really well for all but 2 of the pads which I think I probably botched a bit and should probably redo.

It’s probably been posted elsewhere on this forum, and you can find a video tutorial on YouTube which iirc uses red electrical tape instead of gaffer tape. I do recommend the gaffer tape, though, as it’s thicker, has a nice rough high-friction surface, stays put nicely with its stronger adhesive, and doesn’t leave much residue.

Once upon a time, I watched a Youtube video.

2 Likes

it’s a beautiful piece of kit. solid as a rock (the pads too, lol). punch is a brilliant addition, really missed on the samples imo. sounds amazing when slammed. the format suits cycles better than samples due to less need for menu diving on that tiny screen / single encoder imo.

could do with env attack & a filter.

1 Like

Now this is interesting, considering velocity can be assigned to different parameters. Does the tape layer really increase sensitivity range or just shift it up? I wonder if it would work for AR pads as well. I believe this is a video you mentioned https://youtu.be/ZSznaM3PfH4

2 Likes

That’s the one! Anecdotally, it seems to increase sensitivity. Don’t take my word for it, though, and if your warranty is out, just give it a shot - it’s easy enough to undo.

1 Like

I don’t really get why people think Cycles needs a filter. With TONE, you just turn down SHAPE or SWEEP. METAL has a built-in high pass (OK not really sweepable). With CHORD turn up CONTOUR.

If anything I think they should have made the macros more aligned across machines so that one of them can be treated as a lowpass…

I guess a lowpass could be useful with the noisy machines.

3 Likes

Just bought ECC-5b Curry Sleeve and the Decksaver for my M:C ,-)

3 Likes

Mmmmm curry sleeve.

4 Likes

Yummy

1 Like

This is good to read. I just got ordered one on a good deal. The knob per function and also the fact that you can change the machines per step is insane to me. I can’t really even do that on my Rytm, which I love but…The Rytm really needs an update to stay relevant in my studio now that I have an SP16. IMO it needs to be able to play 12 sample tracks at once with no choking, have sample slicing and an extra LFO would be nice as well.

The Cycles - well I know what I am getting, which is a drum machine to compliment my Tr6s sounds.

1 Like

Beyond resonant digital filters, the base-width EQ gives you some subtly awesome shaping options at the tracking stage, well before mixing.

It’s not terrible without it, would reduce the 1 knob per function utility with additional menu-diving, but would still be welcome.

Hello everyone…my name is Ben…and I’ve just pressed buy for the Model Cycles.

6 Likes