Hapax sequencer is the fucken bomb

Fuck I think the hapax is about the best sequencer I’ve used. Here’s the list I’ve tried and know well so far

Octatrak
Digitak
Entropy engine
Pioneer squid
Erica synths drum sequencer
Mpc live
Force

Other synth/drum sequencer -
Elektron analog rytm/4
Mfb tanzbar, tanzmaus , tanzbar 2
Tempest
Jomox
Manther

I even like it better then the Cirklon though they both rank high with me . For me I like the hapax better because of the grid and less menus diving . Cirklon still has a bit more Fx and cool tools/functions.

I know nothing is perfect like it be nice for velocity sensitive pads and maybe a few other things.

Their are also some other sequencers I haven’t tried yet I wonder how it compares to some of them ?

9 Likes

This is interesting. I was looking at sequencers recently and went for a Polyend Play the Hapax was in my last two after considering some of the others above. I considered the Deluge but decided against it due to having a lot of extra features that I felt was overkill considering my existing gear.

I am looking forward to receiving my Play.

I would love to see an Octatrack mk3 someday soon!

1 Like

can you do the crazy LFO type tempo modulation like on the Squid ? as so far thats the only thing outside of modular that I’ve found will do that, which is why I don’t think I can replace it…

2 Likes

I have the squid and that one has done awesome live performance features . I won’t sell the squid it’s a great idea generator

2 Likes

Absolutely agree, hapax is easily the best step sequencer i have ever used.

1 Like

I went with the Oxi since it is smaller and battery powered and has note preview. Also I think the Hapax is probably built to be the center of a studio and it would be probably be wasted in mine. the Oxi I carry around and use in multiple ways.

Tough call between those 2, the Oxi 3. update is pretty insane. They are both pretty beastly.

Well, the Oxi can be the center of a studio as well (not for me though, due to the arranger). It can be portable, but it doesn’t have to.

Hapax is phenomenal. The comparisons with the Oxi are obvious to draw, but to me the difference is in the polyphonic track count. The Oxi can handle four tracks polyphonically, the Hapax up to 32(!), so no comparison there.

There are 2-3 things I wish the Hapax would do (p-locking of note numbers in drum lanes, mute toggles of track lanes/rows etc), but to me it is easily the most complete, most exciting, most I-cant-believe-someone-actually-made-this (live) sequencer out there!

The Oxi’s form factor and the fact that it is battery powered are very cool features, it’s great for a mobile and/or modular setting (and anywhere where a high (polyphonic) track count is not needed).

3 Likes

Does the Hapax let you program melodic patterns on a grid where each row of the grid represents a different note in the scale?

I went with the Oxi, but figured I’d try them both before it’s over :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! There’s Live mode for live playing (isomorphic layout) and there’s Step mode, for step sequencing. Both can be locked to a scale. You’re describing step mode locked to a scale.

Yeah, I’ll get an Oxi down the line as well :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Cirklon rules.

I like the Hapax better than the Cirklon, as well. Just one annoying bug that seems to crash projects with instrument definitions (fix coming), once that’s fixed it’s pretty close to perfect.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :joy: for use of the word “Fucken”… :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Have you got a Cirklon? Never heard anyone say anythings better who has got one in their studio

Have had one on two separate occasions. It’s damn good, but not perfect, nothing is.

Good enough for Aphex Twin, not good enough for moi :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Right the polyphonic track count is why I said the Oxi is not really a studio center. But for me that is not an issue, which is why I love it. Also the updates they are making are insanely good.

1 Like

I had one and sold it. Before I sold it I released tracks with it, so I learned it pretty deeply. It’s getting to be old tech now in all honesty. Of course I am not influenced by seeing someone use a Cirklon in a dusty studio filled with synths on Against the clock.

The main selling point for the Cirklon now is it’s build quality, super tight clock and number of outputs. The learning curve on the Cirklon is pretty painful though and it really pairs best with modular. Its not a great sequencer for writing lots of polyphony based harmoney with.

The oxi to me is better. Probably the Hapax as well. Faster to learn and program, far deeper chord modes and the channels can interact with each other in a musical way. I will add less expensive and actually available to purchase.

With the Cirklon I had to plug in a midi controller a lot and play the parts I wanted. I never have to do that with the Oxi, and the same would go for the Hapax.

4 Likes

Absolutely. In an age where everything seems to made cheaply, its great to see well built stuff made to last.

This is the right thread for that: