Hardware alternative to NDLR

I’m afraid I can’t usually be bothered to set up recording (or deal with the results when I do), but next time I have the setup together I’ll make an effort. I’ve had a lot of fun with this arrangement using just a JU-06A and the Pyramid, but my plan for next time was to set up the Digitone and have a fairly simple note arrangement complemented by a lot of internal / MIDI LFOs. I will try to record this!

1 Like

It’s been stalled because of the MRCC, but I think I also saw them say that it’s basically out of memory now. I think we might see one more final polish release, but I wouldn’t expect any big new features beyond the current betas.

1 Like

I cannot seem to find info about the latest (?) beta. It appears it features some sort of a randomizer.
Any info or link on this?

You need to be registered for their forum

1 Like

I think I am hahahaha :joy:
Will have to check.
Was looking for some release notes “à la Elektron”.
Thanks for the heads up @Dymaxion :pray:

I remember it being a pain in the ass to find, but not quite where it actually was in there

Ok found it :slight_smile:
Seems like the beta is a bit buggy.
Out of topic anyway I am out :slight_smile:

i buy Orb Composer, is helpful if you dont’ know anything about music theory.

it not good for anything other than backing tracks, and need a good amount of tweeking to get anything good, but you can make entire songs in key without knowing anything at all about music theory, so that’s helpful, IMO…

was pretty buggy in beginning, but i can get it slave to hardware and sending 4 seperate instrument channels back out to hardware via ableton. if you get it set up right, you can just kind of keep printing tracks…

1 Like

It’s not hardware so a little off topic, but Fugue Machine on iOS seems to me another genuinely different way of sequencing MIDI.

3 Likes

One of the developers told me that the firmware of the NDLR has reached it’s endpoint. No further features will come, maybe only some bug fixing if needed.

2 Likes

woaa I didnt realise you could control the NDLR with the octa (so you don’t need to press buttons on the NDLR). How do you do this?

1 Like

By the way I think the Vermona melodicer is also interesting (but modular/eurorack).

2 Likes

Somewhere in the manual it states that each one corresponds to a MIDI note :wink:

Actually CC 26 and CC27

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder about this. wish someone would do a Windows version of The Fugue Machine…

1 Like

I might have to buy an iPad just for it. My eyes are too bad and fingers too fat to cope with it on iPhone!

There’s always a DIY approach to this. The NDLR is pretty simple at basis.

A few years back a college student Tom McIntosh in Australia did a controller that looks very much like the NDLR, but i’m pretty sure he did his completely independently, and originally.

It’s called the ChordCrafter. It’s a Teensy controller (Arduino) in a box with a bunch of buttons arranged around in a cycle of fifths circle. They send MIDI codes out to a computer based Pure Data program that interprets the MIDI codes and generates chord based audio.

He does provide source code for the Pure Data side of things, but the more interesting side of things for this thread is the Arduino based controller portion, which comes without code or schematics as far as i could determine. But it’s not all that complicated, and could pretty easily be put together by someone with a little experience with this sort of thing.

He did a video on this too, you can watch the first couple of minutes of this to get a good idea of his hardware interface, then he goes on a long exposition on the Pure Date audio engine, interesting but outside the point of this thread.

Then skip ahead in the video to 5:55 where he plays around the cycle of fifths on his custom controller, going between major and minor chords. Then after that he shows his audio software being played with a more conventional controller, which you may choose to skip.

In the video he shows a concept for a reduced size version of the ChordCrafter too, which might have been fun if this ever was actually real.

The parts for this sort of thing and some detail on how to do this can be obtained from shops like Adafruit.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Jukka. Nice finding!

1 Like

When you look at this video, notice all the unusual controllers on this guy’s desk! He likes this sort of thing. I wonder what ever other clever interfaces he may have invented ? Trackballs always seem like an interesting alternative to the joystick.

1 Like

Huh. Now that the Electra One has Lua support, it should be pretty reasonable to build something NDLR-like on it, if anyone has a spare six months

3 Likes