Hardware devices for MIDI clock modulation and manipulation

I’ve recently been using the Microfreak as the master MIDI clock for my setup as it allows you to use tempo as a destination in the mod matrix, leading to interesting experiments in continuous tempo variation and modulation. I’m interested in exploring this technique further - I realise it’s trivial to realise this in software and modular, so I was wondering if there were any other hardware devices that allow for the manipulation of MIDI clock in this manner, even if it’s just as a minor feature or side effect. Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering about this same thing lately. I didn’t know the microfreak had that feature. Yet another point for a piece of gear I’ve been interested in.

Yeah, I’ve yet to see anyone mention it, it was just one of those rare moments where I wondered if something would work and it actually did! I wouldn’t buy one just for that feature, but it’s definitely nice to have.

Not quite as flexible, but the DSI Evolver’s sequencer have its ‘clock divider’ parameter as a sequence destination.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting, but I can’t find tempo as a mod destination.

1 Like

ERM-Multiclock allows you to add shuffle independently on each of its four channels. You can also adjust the relative timing between each channel if you are using it in the default POS/NEG mode. Basically, when you clock your devices from it or from an input source (audio, DIN/USB MIDI), it “buffers” one bar before sending clock out. This allows you to rush or drag the clock on any of the 4 channels to adjust micro-timing.

The MIDI Solutions Event Processor (and Event Processor +) could probably do some crazy stuff as well. Though in its case, you would setup the programming using an editor on your computer then dump it onto the processor. Not sure what could be done to do real-time manipulation of clock data. Though I’m sure you could probably assign something like pitchbend or modwheel to clock. It’s a pretty neat device.

3 Likes

Arp/seq rate is the mod destination. When the clock source is set to internal it will also modulate outgoing MIDI clock.

2 Likes

Looks like this is possible on the Toraiz Squid - not sure if I’d want to switch to a new sequencer workflow but it’s good to keep in mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csspiOfCy5Q

Super interested in this as well; I feel like modulating clock (especially randomly and subtly) is such an obvious route to the kind of glitchy/drunken/broken-20th-century-machine sounds everyone’s so into, but none of the high-powered digital hardware I have will do it; not Digitakt, not Hydrasynth, not Sequential Pro3. (At least hydra will allow for random manipulation of arp subdivision, which gives some of this flavor.) Either this is a very hard thing to accomplish without crashing these devices or the makers just truly don’t think we want it.

The only way I have of getting modulated clock right now is:

KORG Volca Modular, modulate clock with random module (and other modules), clock out --> clock in of KORG SQ1 sequencer, program random sequence that includes turned off ‘rest’ steps --> something like a pro3 that will fire its sequencer from random midi (or CV) impulses.

The results of this are truly pleasing and very dial-innable and randomizable, (and it’s great that the SQ1 can send out MIDI or CV) but involves two dedicated boxes the size of 1988 cell phones, I can’t imagine ever hauling it all out to do it live.

Would be amazing if Digitakt could modulate its own clock. Consolation prize if KORG made an SQ1 that had the volca modular random module and an amount knob on it so it was all that in one box, would be awesome. But I suppose 99% of the people they’re selling them to would have little interest in anything other than a fixed clock. I’m sure there are multiple way to do this with $735 in the modular world, but that’s a pandora’s box I’m glad not to have opened…