Harsh Noise when recording

Dear Elektronauts,
I just got a new interface and experience some trouble with it (or maybe its something else causing the trouble)…
In a nutshell: Once in a while, when recording I get harsh noisy sounds in my recordings, which sound like this:
WARNING: Turn Headphones etc. down!

Maybe some of you can guess what causes this issue?

Best,
Thomilé!

Raise your buffer settings. What is your buffer at now ? 512 samples ?

1 Like

It’s your computer struggling to process in real time. Things that can cause it include an outdated interface driver, too many plugins taxing the CPU/RAM and/or the sample rate not being high enough for the current workload. Have you downloaded the latest drivers (if required) and/or raised the sample rate in your DAW’s audio recording settings?

Edit: what @v00d00ppl said

2 Likes

its at 64:o I’ll try it at a higher one, but will keep it as low as possible for lowest latency possible!

I would recommend 128 and do recording at 96k. 96k tends to give better latency numbers.

Are you on Win or OSX? got a top tip for you if on Win

1 Like

Mac unfortunately.

ah ok. Might be worth a shot anyhow. Bassicly i had a very similiar problem to you no matter what i set my buffers and rates too. Turned out from monitoring my cpu % in realtime i found a couple of spiking processes. In my case it was a microsoft antimalware service executable which is well knwn for high cpu spikes. You may well have a process running somewhere that you could disable that you can live without. i managed to get my cpu usage down to a flat line 5% and was suddenly able to lower all my buffers super low and wack my sample rates up. Best to check your activity monitor when its supposidly running idle with no user apps open and see what ya get. Good luck!

1 Like

With my old Mac, turning off wifi and making sure web browsers were closed was quite handy at preventing CPU spikes, maybe worth a try

2 Likes

Thank u everybody, getting the sampling rate up a bit and turning off wifi seems to get the thing done so far:)

1 Like