Has Elektron lost focus as a company?

It makes me wonder though is Syntakt the reason Cenk left?

He’s given me shit for speculating before so I’m not gonna dwell in that for long :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

The only ones like that are the SIDStation and the Drive/Heats. The rest are all multi-function groove boxes (and the OT which is a weirdo).

8 Likes

Nobody has said anything like that about the people at Elektron. :rofl:

Glad you got exactly what you wanted but also I think it’s understandable that some people would like to see something actually new and exciting coming from them for change because they’ve been such innovators in the past.

13 Likes

This and a computer with overbridge and a soundcard with plenty of outs :wink:

2 Likes

not even. Just this and an Octatrack. Heat staying behind. base/width filter on 8 of the tracks makes mixing internally doable for live performance.

But yea, pick your poison. It’ll fit in a backpack.

12 Likes

I’m not poking the fire, but I’d like to know what you consider to be innovative the last few years.

1 Like

Accurate. When Elektron made the Octatrack they weren’t. People openly questioned who would buy a hardware sampler in 2010.

The fab thing about new gear that’s not what you’re into, is that no one is forcing you to buy one, and all your old gear still works!

I’m not buying one because I’m happy with my Digitone, A4 MkII, Model Samples and Analog Heat.

If I had no elektron boxes, I might have started with Syntakt.

14 Likes

I know, I was being deliberately ridiculous.

5 Likes

Its weird to say that the Syntakt tries to do a little bit of everything- so that means Elektron have lost focus as a company, when their first two global machines were Machinedrum and Monomachine(which did a bit of everything)

22 Likes

Just if another two more outs were added… Isn’t that a lot of sound power for a single pair of outs? I wonder…

Reject Modernity

Embrace Tradition

7 Likes

i have never reached for the mute button so quickly

8 Likes

I’m not sure I understand these complaints, as most of their lineup consists of focused pieces:

Digitone - FM Synth
Analog Four - Analog Synth
RYTM - Arguably the best drum machine on the market - Analog sounds with sample layering.
Octatrack - Dynamic Sampler - Samples Only
Digitakt - Drum Computer - Samples Only
Model:Samples - Samples Only

Model:Cycles probably falls under your complaint category as it is mostly FM, but with the wavetable machine mixed in.

It just seems like an over-generalization to claim that all of their units try to do a bit of everything without being the best they can be in one area.

To me the Syntakt harkens back to classic Elektron gear like the Machinedrum or Monomachine. Various types of “machines” or synthesis under one roof. And sure, maybe they aren’t all new machines, but they are all together in the Digi format with some cool new tricks implemented.

25 Likes

I’m just gonna mute this

7 Likes

Lost its focus since … when?

The Digitone was the last thing in the line and it is mostly FM and does it really well… it is not at all a jack of all trades.

So what sort of track record are you basing this on?

2 Likes

Cenk ? :smirk:

1 Like

I think its a great machine, if i didnt already have the Rytm and Monomachine i would buy it. Im glad my wallet is safe :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dunno, I think their focus is razer sharp. This is exactly what they do - Elektron make drum machines. And from a business point of view the Syntakt is a homerun. Not only optimising their manufacturing chain, but also their code, all the while offering previously out of reach sounds and features to a new segment of the market.

10 Likes

I’d argue Fantom is plenty flagship, and it’s gotten a lot of post release support. Expecting a decade of updates is a bit insane IMO.