Headphone advice

Hi,
I’m looking for advice on headphones for jamming/music production with Elektron Digitakt, Digitone and RD9.

I know this question probs been asked a million times but in 2022 are there any new recommendations?

I have audio routed into a scarlet 18i8 interface into Ableton and currently use Pioneer HDJx5 which are ok but the bass and low frequencies are very muddy.

I’m interested in the DT990 pros, Austrian audio hi x15s what would be your recommendations for making techno etc

Cheers
Alan

1 Like

Phonon SMB 02 as premium Option and ATH-M50X as Budget option

Open back headphones possible or do you need them for mobile application too?

Another vote for the Audio Technica ATH-M50x! Or few also like the M40 as well!

2 Likes

the DT990 pros and the closed back version DT770 pro are my two fav headphones for just about anything. I actually prefer the the sound of the 770 pro a little better for some reason (likely just more used to closed back phones), but for long mixing sessions the 990s are my go to because they are sooooo comfortable. They also sound really really great.

3 Likes

:point_up_2:t2: DT770 pro all the way.

For balancing stuff out in mid and highs I use HD600.

2 Likes

I second the DT770 (pro) for a nice headphone with a predictable and well loved sound profile (ie a little boosted and harsh in the high end).

If you want a nice alternative that sounds great and is still fantastic value for money, the Hifiman Sundara punches well above its weight class at 350€ a pop.

When it comes to mixing on headphones, you’ll be forced to learn a headphone’s sound signature and “mix into it” no matter what you buy, so pick headphones that you like the sound of.

2 Likes

I have the DT770 Pro and DT880 Pro’s (amongst many others).
I like them both very much, sound great and very comfortable.
The 880s tend to be the ones I reach for 90% of the time as i just love using them. The 770s are great for shorter periods but i tend to get ear fatigue after a while and they feel a bit heavier.
Third place would probably be my Sennheiser HD650’s. They’re great headphones, and definitely up there with the Beyerdynamics, I just personally prefer the 880s.

2 Likes

im kinda joking but also kinda serious about this so here me out. I bought a pair of one odio cans off amazon for like $29.99 when I went on a trip and didn’t want to pack my nice headphones and they actually sound REALLY good. I was actually so impressed, I actually still have them and use them all the time to just listen to music.

Im not saying these are great for mastering, but for a set of closed back studio monitors they sound like they cost a few hundred not thirty bucks! Its a solid budget choice for real

1 Like

I actually own a pair of these but unfortunately I bent the jack so only get audio through one headphone :joy:

Some great advice here.

I guess my question is the headphones I currently use are Pioneer HDJX5s the kicks and sub bass frequencies become very distorted and muddy.

I guess the question is what has the most balanced sound between:

DT990
DT770
ATH-M50x (I’ve read these boosted a little in the low end will I not run into the same issues as my Pioneers headphones with these)
Austrian Audio Hi x15 (a lot cheaper than the rest does it match the others In terms of sound range)

Buy a good set and be done with it. I bought a set of Senheisser HD600 headphones 14 years ago and still see no need to change or update. Plus, using the same set year after year allows you to learn them which helps you to spot frequency problems.

I have owned a pair of M50 for 10+ years and I’m currently using the M50x, I would recommend them but I’d immediately switch out the pads as the original fake leather ones are quite uncomfortable and tend to brittle.
I know them enough to subconsciously compensate for it, but they are a bit heavy on the lower frequencies indeed.

Thanks for the advice all. I went and tested the DT990 and 770 and opted for the 990.
Really clear balanced sound.

1 Like