Help an absolute novice decide on first hardware

Hello everyone, I’m sure you get these threads daily so hopefully this one isn’t too annoying. I’m looking to get into music production, I have a few years of experience playing stringed instruments but I consider myself a novice, with much to learn. Keeping that in mind; I’ve been trying to not go overboard on my first bit of hardware. Things I wanted to focus on were hip hop, beats, sampling, and some experimental stuff. I would love to get into other genres in the future once I’ve learned more.

Originally I was considering the M:S, price point seemed nice but after reading a bunch of threads I became fearful I’d outgrow it quickly and wish I got a Digitakt. The DT is very enticing, price is steep but I’ve heard great things about it and it could keep me engaged for years. I know many would recommend a DAW but frankly, I’m not interested. I’m at a desk most of the day, so I would prefer to keep myself away from it as much as possible.

So what do all of you suggest? Is the DT worth it for someone like myself? Or would you suggest something else? I was also considering a Deluge, which seems amazing but complicated, and the OP-Z, seems very fun and inspiring but build quality is sketchy. If anyone has experience with those two, I’d appreciate your insight!

3 Likes

Get a used M:S. If you “outgrow” it, get a used DT and sell the M:S.

OP-Z is a bit gimmicky. Deluge is a nice jack of all trades device, but this is Elektronauts, so stick to Elektron!

GL

6 Likes

If you’re worried about outgrowing something too quickly I’d consider an Mpc One.

There’s currently nothing as feature packed, at this price point. Although which features you might find more to your liking is for consideration, but It’s as capable as a Digitak, but the methods of doing things are very different.

3 Likes

That’s where I was leaning, I think it’s easy to fall into “future proofing”. M:S looks fun, and I could always get a DT later.

Maybe an OT.

1 Like

I was in the same boat 6 months ago. Bought a Digitakt second hand and never looked back. Haven’t been back to Ableton in months.

7 Likes
4 Likes

All solid options mentioned above

Id like to add the new roland 404 mk2 for hip hop and sampling

4 Likes

Oh, and please come back to this thread in 6 months time and tell us about your setup. Because: GAS.

4 Likes

I think whichever you pick you’ll spend time on forums and YouTube thinking something else is better. The endless quest to add that something

So pick something and stick with it, master the beast :grinning:

10 Likes

I started with a second hand DT about two years ago, and I recommend it. Easy to start, difficult to master. You’ll have plenty to learn, and it will open the doors to other, more complicated Elektrons.

Now I have much more gear, but the DT is still one of the most used devices.

2 Likes

DT is definitely worth it and will provide enough depth for you to learn production techniques for years to come. Eventually even overcoming some of its limitations will provide a great learning experience. Another very positive aspect about the DT is that it feels like an instrument once you know your way around. To me it’s a perfect marriage between music programming and instrumentalism. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I will! Very excited to delve deeper.

This will literally be the best advice you’ll get, regardless of what you buy.

Make this your Mantra.

Do what you can early on to avoid habitual GAS. It can be a real and destructive problem. I know personally how bad it can get, as i had to go Bankrupt because of it.

15 Likes

Coming from stringend Instruments myself always consider the nature of the Instrument you buy. Which I did not. All Elektron Devices are very techno focused. Shure you can do all kinds of things but Its a very different thing habing control over a sound by pulling a string or pushing a pad. So if you want to play. Consider an mpc, machine or at least a rytm even if the pads are crap on that one. DT is great but you are pretty much programming stuff and not playing even if you can do that to some extend.

1 Like

I think this is an interesting point.

I’ve owned all Elektron instruments, except Rytm/Monomachine.

I’ve also sold all of them too, because if this issue.

Because their primary/initial way of creating music seems too much focused on programming, rather than playing. But that’s not necessarily accurate.

But, because I went the Mpc route (and Op-1) and learnt enough of that way if doing things, I’ve now been able to get my head around the Elektron workflow. So the programming nature of Elektron became quicker, more instinctive, and then the “playing” aspect of the Elektrons kicked in. There are always 2 different aspects to these machine, for me anyway. I learnt them at different times. But someone else might learned it as a whole.

But still, for me, nothing beats triggering and muting pads and tracks within the Mpc environment.

Anyway, I’m rambling now.

1 Like

I respectfully disagree.
As a guitarist and bassist, I couldn’t get to the end of a track.
OP-1 then Elektron machines changed this.
In my book, finger drumming and sculpting my loop by recording the encoders automation in live recording mode do actually feel like playing.
And getting the possibility to adjust any parameter is a wonderful gift after you’ve been committed to only record audio for years.

@lilfloof Digitakt is a beast, it’s simple enough to quickly get interesting results, and deep enough to not getting bored of it after years.
Take a dive into Elektron workflow, and have much fun!!

9 Likes

There’s your answer. Digitakt will do it.
If you want to hit pads like an MPC, you could always use a midi pad controller.

5 Likes

I did edit my post slightly but you replied first.

I do agree that being able to sculpt as you go is a wonderful and creative way to compose and not get stuck in boring loop mode. So fundamentally I agree with your post and disagreement.

My point was that personally I couldn’t initially work with the Elektron way of doing things as a whole. For some reason my brain had to separate programming the sequence from the other amazing sound shaping features. Because counter to your experience I’d get stuck in tweak, glitch mode and not move on with the sequence.

I had to build the structure first and then tweak later.

Not the case now as I’m used to the experience as a whole.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight!

YouTube is a good start to see the type of music each machine makes and also check out artists you like to see what they use.

I found making hip hop on my digitakt and sp/mpc 2 totally different experiences with different results. Both had good and bad points and both enjoyable but they did differ