Help! Cable tip broken off in socket

So when I got Syntakt I got some free ‘official’ audio leads, not got round to using them except in the past couple of weeks and even then I’ve only used 1 of them maybe 3 times max.

… and the damn thing just came apart in my K2, the tip has decided to stay stuck inside the socket, leaving me with a useless K2 and a broken lead. Its not all bad, if I put the broken lead back in the socket, I get audio, but this is really not ideal, I have to always use that lead and I don’t know if the tip will move again rendering the socket completely useless.

Any thoughts on how to fix this situation? I’m currently thinking either take the K2 apart and try and remove the tip, or put superglue on the broken jack and shove it in quickly (this is probably a stupid idea). I don’t like the sound of either of these ideas though…

Strange how something as simple as a crappy quality lead can bring everything to a halt.

wait, the tip of the audio jack broke off and stuck in the hole?
don’t do something nasty with superglue!

1 Like

What’s a k2?
And the only elektron cable I got was usb and power cable … if it’s audio then I’m not sure it’s ‘elektron’

1 Like

Don’t try anything daft.

You can buy extraction tools for exactly this job, just trying to find a 1/4 inch one on Scamazon now…

1 Like

It should open easily enough, if tweezers or tiny pliers won’t grip the broken-off part.

3 Likes

Afaik the sockets aren’t the open chassis type where you can get to the tip. The best plan might be tweezers etc and removing the broken part without opening it up.

2 Likes

Struggling to find the right size tool on the internet.

3.5mm ones are everywhere, but no 1/4 inch ones…

1 Like

So the K2 is the Behringer MS20 clone, and I got some free cables and an Elektron cable bag with ST, but only just got round to using them very recently.

An extraction tool sounds perfect, I would never have thought of that, I’ll look into that now.

The tip of the jack has separated and stayed in the socket and seems to be behind the springy metal that holds the jack in place, will probably be difficult to get anything to grip to it.

1 Like

I’d rather not open it up anyway, so I’ll explore this option first for sure.

1 Like

Can you see inside the socket? I’m wondering how much tip is in there and if there’s a spigot or shaft still attached to the tip? There usually one that goes through the inside of the sleeve, maybe you could grab onto that if it’s there? Failing that is there a hole in the tip? You might be able to get a suitable sized long set screw into the hole enough to pull the tip out?

Just to clarify is the socket one of the small 3.5mm/1/8” ones or one of the bigger 6.35/1/4” audio out ones on the back? As @Fin25 has said you can get extraction tools for the smaller ones

2 Likes

Its a 1/4 inch on the back of the unit and its literally just the tip thats come off, the actual jack has the first plastic ring still attached and theres a small stem where the tip would attach. Looking into the socket, it looks to be stuck pretty deep, probably where it would be anyway if the jack wasn’t broken but plugged in.

I’ll do a bit more digging, I’ve just seen the 3.5mm extraction tools, there must be larger ones available somewhere.

Thanks for all the input guys, I’ve got a few things to go on now! :slight_smile:

3 Likes
4 Likes

In that case there’s a hole potentially accessible within the tip - it might be possible to cut a Biro (or similar) to create a tube, then pass a chunky cocktail stick (or similar) through it with some (careful here) strong instant grab adhesive and let it bond … then try to withdraw

I’m fairly patient at these kinds of tasks, so i’m expressing what i know i could do. If you chose to do this or similar then do so at your own risk. Likewise removing the board from the chassis to do a fix is probably within the realms of doable - depending on teh layout you may be able to use a finger drill to put a hole in the far end and push it through - these pcb mounted sockets tend to have a plastic end - again, at your own risk.

If it’s like other Behringer synths of that form factor you at least have the convenience of the 3.5mm output which is identical if anything didn’t go to plan or you play a long game on the fix

I’ve used those Elektron cables for years and had no issues, there can be other factors, but it’s unsettling that it could shear off

Good luck … ps: i think it would be more informative to title the topic as cable tip broken off in socket (or similar)

1 Like

I managed to extract a snapped off trs shaft by soldering a wire to it. It sounds like it might be too deep to reach with the iron, but you can tin the end of the wire with a bit of solder, then heat the wire when it’s in contact with the piece you’re trying to extract.

3 Likes

I just watched a video of someone using a cotton bud to remove a stuck tip, and it actually worked. Tried it myself but no dice :joy:

The removal tools seem to be unavailable in this size, but maybe I can find a Hi-Fi repairs shop or similar that can do it. Annoying but at least it will be fixed.

Thanks for the input!

1 Like

In this case its literally just the tip stuck quite far in, theres no way to solder anything :+1:

Sure, but still doable, as long as there is metal the solder will wet to. Copper is highly conductive of heat and you can use the wire itself to reflow the solder onto the plug tip. Once that cools, you’ll have the tip soldered to the wire and you can just pull it back out.

2 Likes

If you could take a picture of the offending leads that caused this it would be helpful so others can avoid them. Though perhaps you just got unlucky with a defective plug.

I can’t offer any particular advice beyond what others have said, sorry :confused: Hope you find a solution.

1 Like

This happened to me and i took it back to the shop that sold me the cable and they removed it. They didnt have to use glue or solder, but im not sure what tool they used to extract, possibly long tweezers but i didnt get a look.
I just wanted to mention this before you bring glue or solder into the jack socket equation, sorry i cant be more specific for the actual method to do it. Took the guy in the shop a couple of minutes

1 Like

I would look for something like a #0 wood screw with a 3" shaft. Or a similar machine screw. Important things are for the shaft diameter to be as small as possible, the thread end needs to be pointy, and the threads should be designed to cut, not fit into machined threads.

Then try to gently screw the screw into the hole in the tip, then pull. If that doesn’t work, possibly heat the tip of the screw with a lighter first so you can dig a bit deeper into the remaining plastic without causing it to swell too much. Then after giving plenty of cooling time, give it a pull.

There is a fair amount of friction to overcome if the tip is jammed at the end of a jack.

4 Likes