Help - Input Gain Staging (inp A/B)

Gear…
Machinedrum
Darkenergy
Acidlab Bassline

This is usually not an issue for me as I never use the inputs on the MD as I use a mixer to perform live but at the moment I am in a transition phase with my setup and have a show coming up so I am using the above set up…

Two issues i am having…

Gain Staging…

What is the best way to set the input levels for the DE and Bassline?

Output Levels…

I am having a hard time setting the output levels of the above synths as in having to jump back n forth between trig assignments would it be more advantageous to use the CTRL8-P machine?

Final issue is that I am gonna lose some of that analogue warmth thru the 12 bit MD conversion…

I run a Dark Energy and Minitaur through a MD, and on the contrary, I find it adds more warmth compared to running them straight through the mixer. Sure you are losing analog warmth, but you gain digital warmth which in the case of the MD I find very pleasing!

The DE has a very hot output so I keep the amp usually from 5-7 (11-2 oclock), with input machine on default settings more or less. I adjust the volume from the input gain parameter on the first page if I need a hotter signal. Im not sure exactly, i just experiment and it has always worked fine. Try a resonant patch with filter movement on the DE and it’s pretty easy to tell where the MD inputs start distorting. I usually work around that range since I also really like the MD’s distortion.

Not sure if I can really help with input levels (i stick to the gate machine, or whatever the first input machine is), just wanted to say how good analog stuff sounds through the MD.

Hey man thanks for the tips… Another friend of mine said the same about the digital warmth of the MD… I am just use to hearing all my synths thru a A&H Zed14…

This is my usual Live rig…

What do you mean? I thought the 12 bit business is only about sample playback, not for example when you route external inputs straight through the MD?