Help me decide what to play at my next gig

this poll is beautifully poised.

I mean, it’s an open mic, it’s the one opportunity you ever get to be completely self indulgent on a big rig surely?

if your yum is making the noise, make the noise.

Unless, like, you need to rehearse the laptop set or something.

1 Like

if people look really uncomfortable, you can play an Ed Sheeran video on your phone at the same time, and anchor them back to their safe little worlds that way?

:wink:

2 Likes

Considering this:

I would absolutely choose:

1 Like

Where ya playin?

Dry old Nottingham.

Hopefully.

It’s a bit of a punk/metal venue, so they’re not afraid of a bit of a racket.

3 Likes

I say Lyra Noise Terror and one solitary kick drum running for 15 mins until someone loses their mind

3 Likes

Tough crowd, nottingham

1 Like

Last time I played a dreadful tech house set with just a Model:Samples and an AH. Had a pint spilled on my gear at the start, then overloaded the DI before performing 15 minutes of mediocrity. I was pretty pissed, but I don’t remember anyone clapping.

4 Likes

That noise will clear a room quick. Go for it.

2 Likes

Why not combine the two and paint the full picture?

Maybe its just me, but I’ve always loved pop-experimental. Bass and drums to give a foundation for the noise construction

1 Like

I’m trying, but I’ve not managed to combine the two yet in a way that I consider worthy of performing.

1 Like

If it’s a punk crowd then definitely Lyra. It has so many fuzzy guitar timbres to deliver

1 Like

Lyra noise terror with beats

3 Likes

I voted Lyra but the Acid track is ace as well.

1 Like

I don’t see why the two need to be connected in data? Why not just run the two outputs into a mixer or something and let them play their own thing?

I don’t see people being like “hey, wait a minute…the droney noise is playing out of time with the acid beat”

Though, I don’t know the source of your confusion between the two- so I can only guess

1 Like

I’m a pretty lazy mixer and combining the two always takes quite a lot of mixing and fucking about to not end up with a muddy mess. This quest forms at least a small part of my constant gear changing over the last couple of years. I feel like I can achieve my goals with the current gear I’ve got, but I’m still learning to patch stuff together and I’m in the middle of a bit of a bout of insomnia and I’ve got two little shits to look after and I just don’t have the mental bandwidth for much more than one or the other.

Might give it a try over the next few days, see if I can come up with something.

1 Like

3.5 mins acid, 3.5 mins noise, acid, noise. No mixing between. Finish

1 Like

Side chain compress the noise with the beat as a source. Might not be the most eloquent method, but will work for a performance i reckon

1 Like

It seems to me you answered your own question :grimacing:

7d5aki

1 Like

I’m building a compressor now in Max that should do the trick, I’ll see how things go.

1 Like