Help me find this band

About 4 years ago a friend of mine shared some tracks from a trio with an older female singer (and by older I mean 40’s or 50’s).

I think the trio (2 men, and female singer) was from the UK, and it was poppy kind of stuff, but also very hip.

The singer had a rough / raspy voice and was quite pretty with blond-ish hair.

Does any of this sound familiar?

Portishead?

1 Like

Yeah seconded, it’s got to be Portishead. Even if it wasn’t them, listen to them. A glorious band…

5 Likes

…or possibly Roisin Murphy?

2 Likes

Zero 7 maybe

She’s Irish but I guess Moloko is considered to be a UK band. But it is a duo not a trio.

Good shout. Technically a duo but regularly collaborating with Sia to make them a trio.

1 Like

Nope, none of those. Great music though!

The track I heard was a talk/singing style. Very low key.

When i heard them 4 years ago I looked them up and read an article about them, and now I really want to hear that track again.

1 Like

Can you describe the music a bit more? What kind of instrumentation?

It was indie pop, with heavy accoustic drums, and some guitar. Not heavy on synths in the track I’m thinking of. It was sparse with a lot of space for her to talk/sing.

Let me find some similar music as that might help…

I wouldn’t call her voice raspy, but sometimes she does sing in a talking manner. Could it be Saint Etienne?

1 Like

Here’s the closest match I could find, but with lower raspy vocals, and more of a talking style while singing.

I think seefeel are a 3 piece now

EDIT: Don’t think they use acoustic drums though.

1 Like

Checked out St Etienne, and I don’t think that’s the band.

Her vocals sound old and scratchy, and even warbles a bit. She has a limited range and doesn’t sing very high.

Must be more of an obscure act, as I thought they were quite famous (from the article). The article centered on her, and described her getting back into music. Also, I think she was into fashion, and might have been a model or an actress in younger years.

Wasn’t Cat Power was it?

EDIT: Ignore me, she’s American

PJ Harvey?

Hooverphonic?
(but they are Belgians)

Goldfrapp?

1 Like

This song is even closer in style:

1 Like

Damn, Goldfrapp is very close!

Checking out their tracks to see if I can find the song

1 Like