Help me understand what's going on with this Pattern switch o.0

Hey folks!

I’m preparing for a live set, and while preparing my patterns I just found this transition that I can’t figure exactly WHY. The thing is I really like what’s happening. But I don’t know how to bring it to other patterns XD

Here’s a demo:

So to give you what’s going on:

-Melody is coming from Dtone. Field recording-texture Dtakt (those 2 triggers)
-Digitone is the master of the Digitakt, sending tempo and program change
-Normally, all my patterns switch at the same time in both machines
-Here tho, the digitone switches and the digitakt doesn’t follow until completing her secuence, while the digitone is already playing the next pattern.

Take a look on the video and see how Dtone switches first from “Untilted” to “Kato” patterns.

I assume is a thing of the master lentgh and patterns lengths. But I don’t understand exactly how:

if you check the pictures, on the Dtone is basically a 60steps secuence while on the Dtakt 30 (I have both scaled 1/2). So why the Takt, being a shorter secuence, is not moving at the same time of the Dtone, instead of doing an extra cycle? There’s probably a logical reason but my brain can function more lol

1 Like

Make them have exactly the same scale & multiplier (for the longest track) and then debug a problem if you still have one.

Dt’s length is 15 steps at half speed so 30 normal steps, DN is 30 steps at half speed so 60, same as the master length meaning the DT will complete two passes in the same time as the DN’s one.
You could set the change length to 30 and cue it up in the second half of the DN’S cycle or double up the DT’s sequence to 30 to match.

The CH.LEN only works as described when you manually change patterns. It doesn’t work for Chained patterns, despite what the manuals say… so if you might want to use Chains to help the performance, you can’t rely on CH.LEN. Best to stick with matched M.LEN instead.

(Or use multiple copies of the pattern with different settings, for different parts of the performance)

Ah, didn’t realise chains were needed.

If this might help :

1 Like

Hello,

I’ve tested it with my Digitakt (should be the same for Digitone) - it sends Program Change message only after a pattern is actually changed, not when you’re triggering the next pattern. I believe you should mangle with Channel and Master lengths on your Digitakt, it should be solvable.