HELP! MyVolts Ripcord is not working with my Digitakt and powerbank

Do they Include adapter to connect BirdCord to digitakt (the one that is on the end of the BirdCord on your picture)?

1 Like

No, not included. They sell the 2.5mm adapter separately for ā‚¬2.79. The converter cable is ā‚¬16.99.

1 Like

Looks familiar to me. I think the problem is with powerbanks that donā€™t up to the specs written on them i.e. written: 20000 mAh reality: 15000 mAh and the same is with an amount of current you can withdraw. I have tested my RipCord with Digi lately and it was fine. I have Anker 20000 mAh and Romoss 30000 mAh ad Digi was fine with each one.

Oh, ok.

I canā€™t believe they still advertise the RipCord for being compatible with the Digitakt.

The Digitakt requires 12V and 1A, the RipCord can only deliver 12V and 750mA. So it can work, but you shouldnā€™t be suprised when it freezes or crashes when more power is needed than the RipCord can deliver.

3 Likes

Just got a refund on my ripcord , bought a birdcord and it all works perfectly (DT and DN] with all x4 of my USB batteries. Rytm MKII requires more grunt tho and wonā€™t power on with it, but thatā€™s ok

No, bad design for power on surge, get a Birdcord instead

Thatā€™s why I got a Birdcord weeks ago and have been happy ever since. :slight_smile:

I totally agree.

The original power supply is actually 12V, 2A (24 Watt).
So any 5V USB converter will be severely underpowered.
You need 12V directly or a USB port with Power Delivery.

3 Likes

How does the Birdcord get away with it?

ā€œOutput voltage: 12V DC, peak output current: 750mAā€

Do Digitakt/Digitone draw the full 1A, and exceed the rating of the Birdcord?

me too

What I donā€™t understand is that of the three RipCords I was sent, the one that works is as dependable as the BirdCord. So whatever anyone makes a blanket statement about the RioCords not having enough power for the job might not be correct, presuming we are talking about a unit that actually functions.

I suspect the reason why the Birdcord seems to work more often than the RipCord is because of the used components. The Birdcord could have bigger capacitors on the output to deal with power spikes like in-rush current when turning on the DT/DN. Also, its step-up converter might be a bit more efficient.

But no matter how you look at it, the fact that a lot of them donā€™t work is a clear indication that youā€™re pushing the components to the limits. And that is never a good idea.
And whether they will work or not is very likely a combination of manufacturing tolerances and the power draw of your DT/DN at that time.

I would like to see people with working adapter cables push their DT/DN to the max and see if it is still stable.
(i.e. Load a busy project with memory fully loaded using midi, effects, LFOā€™s etc., connect usb, outputs and a headphone, crank volume, play and perform.)

1 Like

I think itā€™s a components issue too. Perhaps it would take reaching out to the creators of these products or a knowledgeable tear-down to get to grips with whatā€™s going on here. What I can tell you is that the BirdCord just works, every time, with no slowdown, no crashes and no fuss, no matter what Iā€™ve been doing on the Digitakt. Itā€™s like having it plugged into the wall.

Please donā€™t misrepresent what I said, I donā€™t think this is a components issue.

Thatā€™s good info for people who already have a Birdcord.
I would still advise against it though, because itā€™s the wrong product for the job.

I apologise for misrepresenting what you said.

I suppose the question is this - if a hypothetical problem doesnā€™t come to pass after countless hours of rigourous testing, is it a problem at all?

Iā€™m yet to see a single person come forward and state that USB power fried their Digi.

It wonā€™t fry it as both the RipCord and Birdcord provide LESS power as required (1A < 0.75A). But it can result into freezes, software crashes, or worse: it can corrupt the flash memory or +drive.

1 Like

But has anyone said that this has happened yet? Iā€™m not saying itā€™s not possible but Iā€™m yet to see this actually happen to anyone, even just loss of data. I get that the theoretical possibility of this happening is enough for a lot of people to denounce the whole thing and Iā€™d be super pissed if it happens to me but as far a Iā€™m concerned, life is too short to not take the plunge and play the Digitakt on the train or coach.

1 Like

Hey thats why its not working manā€¦ the adaptater is needeD to inverse the polarityā€¦ i cant remember if the digitakt is center pin positive or negative, what im sure is that without the adaptor, itĀ“s the wrong way for the digi!!!

I just had the same problem with the ripcord
It was working great for about two weeks
Really great , outdoors, about four hours,
Headphones/speakers/mic recording/midi cable to ipad/big projectā€¦ was fun outdoors
Then suddenly todayā€¦ Nothing.
Starts. Freezes. Then nothing.
The dt is fine with the original adapter to wall socket.
So I did have 2 powerbanks , both are cheap and I think I used the cheapest of them on the last sessionā€¦
Is it possible the cheap powerbanks can fry the ripcord? I think the cable is damaged. It makes an hi pitched electric noise, we all know that noise , and I donā€™t think it was doing that beforeā€¦

So from eating this conversation I think Iā€™m gonna look for a real 12v output powerbox and use that without any convertorā€¦ I wish I can find a light weight one, those things tend to be heavy