Help with Digitakt as a stand alone sampler + BSP

ah OK… thanks for that

…don’t miss out on the internal sequencer…that’s an instrument of it’s very own and runs THE show in every elektron device, no matter if it’s a synth or sampler for too many good reasons…
it’s the basic concept all elektrons “cult” is based on…

so beatstep is a nice additional seq/controler for whatever u could name out there, but let ur takt do it’s thing it was intended for…

3 Likes

I think the BSP is a great companion to drum based elektron devices. You get velocity sensitive pads, and I really like using the roller/looper and recording those performances into the elektron sequencer.

3 Likes

Yeah, really. The Arturia sequencer is nice, but it’s no Elektron!

@stimulus, maybe at least use the Digitakt sequencer for parameter locks, or lock trigs, sound locks, things like that. Basically internal “automation”. If you’re not using the sequencer you just have an overpriced mono sample player with a few basic effects :wink: at least that’s my take.

Sometimes I use something external to generate MIDI notes for the Digitone (code written on a computer doing generative stuff, or Blokas midihub) and then I still use the onboard sequencer for sound locks, lock trigs, etc. Basically everything but the note trigs.

2 Likes

Yeah, I treat the BSP, or the Stolperbeats I recently got, as a sketch pad for sequences, which I will record into the elektron sequencer and further adjust.

2 Likes

That’s cool. Do you enable live recording mode on the Elektron and then just let the BSP play into it, to record into the Elektron sequencer? Seems like a fast way to transfer sequencer data from one device to another.

For a while I was using the RK-002 cable from one Elektron to another using that live recording method, so I could capture euclidean sequences on the Elektron… Without having to muck about too much with microtiming.

Yeah, exactly. It can get a little weird if both sequencers are running at the same time though.

I can see how the BSP pads each can have their own dedicated midi channel to control the corresponding DT tracks.

However most external pads share the same midi channel and allow only note number configuration.

So, l don’t understand how to setup the DT to control track 1-8 with external pads, while track 9-16 are dedicated to sequence external midi gear.

Interesting. Didn’t know that we could do it like that.

Tried your advice on my BSP and it seems like Arturia and Elektron have a different understanding of what “C0” is.

On this Controller Map I set the upper pads (9-16) from C-2 to G-2. I use Ch 16 for the Auto Channel on the DT.

For the Drum Tracks it would be like leaving the Drum Channel on 10 and setting the DT Auto Channel to 10 and the note values for Pad 1-8 from 0 to 7.

Just an example, of course. One could assign the BSP pads any way they want like that.

Works like a charm. Thanks again for the tip.

1 Like

Cool! I’ve got it now working on the lowest octave as well.

1 Like