Help with first modular skiff

To me I feel like Maths is for people that are good at complex routings and puzzles. It’s very flexible apparently. But I like things to be a bit more straightforward. Maths does more I think, but most people use it 90% of the time for envelopes or lfos, and then I’d rather have a Quadrax.

Other people will think the opposite I’m sure haha

1 Like

Maths has two function generators (Quadrax has four), as well as some mixing, logic, and skew functionality. It is popular now but most people putting it in a first rack cannot articulate why they are doing so, beyond thinking it must be good because everyone else thinks so. I believe it is popular because it filled a niche when it was released several years ago. It does a lot but there are now alternatives that I think are better, especially for small starter cases.

3 Likes

You can plug any of the outs from DFAM into the 1U VCA. The question is what you want to do with the signal from DFAM. If you just want to mix it with what the sound that the modular is creating, then you can do that as you’ve said (you will have to provide CV for volume control for the DFAM signal, that can come from Quadratt). But you can also do that externally (with a mixer, or the external inputs on your Digitakt), leaving the 1U VCA free for use within the modular. You might want to take a VCO output from DFAM into the 1U VCA and control it with an envelope from Quadrax (doing something more interesting than the DFAM EG can do, like bursts).

1 Like

:open_mouth:
I am starting to NOT see the end of the rabbit hole…
Thanks for taking the time.

1 Like

To be honest, I think this perception is caused by the stylish but somewhat inscrutable panel design, and weaknesses in the documentation. I was originally tempted to write a proper guide (using the Grayscale alternate panel, which is much clearer) but I don’t own the module, and it proved to be more fun to do it using Falistri, which is functionally cleaner.

1 Like

Swapping Maths for Falistri was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made for my rack. I would strongly encourage it especially for people starting out with small racks who need to make difficult decisions. It does so much, all at the same time, and has so many outputs and clever touches. Hell, even though it’s a function generator, it was the main oscillator / sound source in my rack for a while because it sounds so good. (After that I went through a couple complex oscillators before finally settling on Brenso).

For the most part, I love Make Noise layouts and disagree with others that they’re willfully inscrutable hieroglyphics. But I think they made a mistake with the Maths design. It’s not laid out in an intuitive way and that makes people think it (and all function generators) are harder than they really are. They’re not. They’re wonderfully intuitive things that you should just reach for with muscle memory and loose creative intent. Falistri does that, and feels empowering rather than puzzling.

3 Likes

Starting out, I did the cliche of buying a tiny skiff and by the end of the week had a much bigger skiff and by the end of the month, an Intellijel 7U. Within a few months the 7U and 104 skiff were full :slight_smile: It’s quite the rabbithole. Also quickly found myself with way too many VCO’s and filters and not enough stuff to modulate them. You’re starting out much smarter than most folks!
While I do think it saves money in the long run to just go straight for the 7U, I respect your discipline to keep it compact and focused…if you can!

I swapped lots of stuff in my 1U. That’s very personal, but I got rid of Steppy pretty quick and just used my OT to sequence. My 1U currently has the Audio out, Noise Tools (cannot recommend that one highly enough!), multifx which is great for an extra verb/chorus/delay. Those always come in handy. Also have a sub mixer up there. I have the zeroscope, but really I think it’s kinda crap. Probably will replace it at some point.
I’ve had some stupidly expensive VCO’s (still do), but I think the Doepfer A110-4 is crazy underrated. ZTFM is so useful. For filters I have a Cwejman MMF-1s, Verbos Amp and Tone, L-1 DDVCF and Joranalogue Filter8. All very nice, but the Filter8 is the most versatile by a mile. Lots of things come and go but my Just Friends, Mimeophon, A110-4 and Pam’s (w/midi expander) will likely never leave my rack

1 Like

I avoided Maths for a while because “it’s big” and I liked the idea of getting its functionality through other means, then ended up getting that at a higher cost and footprint, and now have a Maths and think it’s great. I wish I got one earlier and wasn’t so concerned with space at the start.

With that in mind, I’d maybe consider a slightly larger case if you’re feeling restricted or thinking of small versions of modules to save space. There are some great modules that are on the larger side and it’s unfortunate to have to exclude those when a few could go further than a bunch of smaller modules. On the other hand, having some extra smaller cases around can be fun for the occasional mini setup :joy:

2 Likes

I think Maths is great. Nice size, layout - very playable. Envelopes are the sickest there is. Plus it had a nice smattering of utility and logic that makes it great package to learn and go deep.

2 Likes

I have never tried Maths :grimacing:

1 Like

I have only been doing modular for a couple months, and have built up a really nice set-up. I started with one voice in a 62hp Palette case, so I am just a little bit ahead of where you are. I did a lot of research, but I think one of my fav modules for my beginner mind, a friend turned me onto. The WMD Javelin. It’s kind of expensive, but with that a filter and an oscillator, you have a great little starter voice.

Another one of my favorite modules is the Erica Synths Pico DSP. It adds simple, quality effects with only 3hp.

And of course, I’m sure others have mentioned Ornaments & Crime running Hemispheres. Great for a small set up to add more envelopes lfo’s, or even sequencers (among many other applications)…It’s really worth a look.

1 Like

The WMD Javelin is a great envelope. The ability to adjust its output level and accent response are very useful.

There is a reason Maths is the number one module on Modular Grid. I was going through the illustrated supplement again last night and exploring it’s use as a triangle / saw oscillator … it really sounds pretty great.

Curious about Falistri from Frap Tools as an alternative…

1 Like

For single / complete voice modules it’s really hard to beat the Intelijel Atlantis… better than a real SH-101 … more flexible by far

1 Like

My advice, for what it’s worth: consider getting a 0-Coast even before going all in on the modular.
It offers a lot for the price, and every part of it can be used separately (you got 2 LFOs, envelopes, oscillators, attenuverter, etc)

Be prepared to learn a lot, but loose money on this journey.
I almost sold everything, but kept the 0-Coast, so that means something too :wink:

5 Likes

Going 2nd hand is not bad advice… modules are generally built well, especially from reputable makers and you can save a few bucks here and there.

Don’t fill up a case with modules “because cheap” … always buy what you have figured out you need based on current direction.

1 Like

Thanks for the input @thoughtstarZ
This is much appreciated as this is all a little overwhelming. The multitude of options is quite ñaralusing to be honest.
I will keep your advice on these modules indeed.

À very impressive module. Expensive as well.

Thanks for the advice @LyingDalai but I think I am pretty keen on giving it a go. It does “intrigue” me and I have to find out :slight_smile:
Could be the hard way but o ly time will tell.
I have learnt the hard way with quite a lot of what I have invested in so far (time and money).

1 Like

That is not going to happen now anyway.
I am already freaking out on the possibilities I am offered with Quadrax, Polaris and Iteritas :joy:

1 Like

Whatever your own path is, the 0-Coast stays a solid advice. It even makes it possible to turn midi clock into cv :wink:
A lot of useful parts for 500 bucks.

2 Likes