Help with first modular skiff

Please bare with me as my modular culture is next to 0…
That means I could route whatever is the end of my signal chain (say Iteritas to Polaris then Polaris to Quadratt to the built in OUTS of the Intellijel Palette) directly into my MOTU UltraLite Mk3 while waiting for the Stereo Out 1U?

Speaking as someone who’s just sold a lot of Eurorack on eBay, I can confirm that there’s a lot of bargains to be had on there.

1 Like

I don’t have that specific audio interface, so i can’t guarantee it 100%, but it seems more fancy than mine (scarlett 18i20) so i think it should be fine. But you can only use the 1/4 inch jacks on the palette when you get your 1u out. So as long as your waiting for the output module the signal flow would look more like this: manis -> polaris -> quadratt -> interface

1 Like

A thing to keep in mind is that Eurorack voltages (modulations, V/oct signal, etc) are usually +/- 10V while audio signal are 0 to 1V (please correct me if I’m mistaken).

So you have to be conscient of what you send where. Most of the time, a system is mistake-proof (like even if you put 10V in an output the module is built to handle this) but make sure you understand what you are doing (if you’re unsure, check it first).

I never broke anything Make Noise, Mutable Instruments or Noise Engineering, though.
But be careful :wink:

1 Like

Yes. You may use the Quadratt to attenuate the signal before it hits your interface.

However, since you have a MOTU Ultralite, and as they’re renowned for integrating modular (DC Coupled…don’t worry about it unless you want to open another keg of worms…or want to integrate VCV Rack, Reaktor et. al with your external modular) you can go straight in from your modular. It’ll come in hotter than your other gear, but it’s certainly manageable.

1 Like

Most useful advice @Fin25 @Don_Murowski @LyingDalai @xidnpnlss THANK YOU
That must be exhausting to go through the basics of it all again.
I really do appreciate your help, time and patience :pray:

4 Likes

No problem at all. I was exactly where you are once and very grateful for the help I received on the way.

2 Likes

It’s still not too late to save yourself a lot of hassle and just buy a pro 2…

3 Likes

I remember I felt like a blind man when I started the modular journey.
I know why I (almost) quit, but it was fun to discover this new world…

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I am another person who is not very happy with the Palette cases. They look so cool, with the built in out (that need another Intelijell specific module)…Basically, the 1u format is only used by a few companies. I have a output I’ll sell you. But, I’m on the west coast of the U.S.

1 Like

I am on the south coast of Spain :slight_smile:
Not to worry, I think patientce is the key with modular. I appreciate your offer though but I believe the costs/customs would be more of a hassle than required.

2 Likes

Especially right now, with the chip shortage. I waited for a few weeks to find one of my filters(WMD C4RBN). Totally worth the wait.

1 Like

Yep… Looks like I have chosen the worst time to get into this :joy:
Though I am doing calculation right now as I can purchase through the BIG German thing (Thom…) with a 21% of all prices through a friend’s company account.
Edit: which will not change anything to the waiting involved…

1 Like

Don’t worry about asking questions. My day job is in education. And, as you’ve seen, there are many here to help.

21% is a nice discount to have. I wait for the occasional 10% sale.

You will find the documentation on modules can be sparse. Even when it is good, sometimes one has to learn by experiment what the voltage range of an input or output is and what its effect is. Knobs might have a zero point indicated but there tend to be very few number labels. The #1 thing to remember is to make sure -12V from the case goes to the -12V pin on the module. There is a red stripe on the ribbon cable to indicate this, and often the plug can only go one way into the socket, but mistakes happen, so always check. The other thing is to avoid plugging an output into an output. This is less serious, though; I think it is more often guarded against.

Going directly from a module to your interface, without the Stereo Out module, will require only a 3.5mm TS to 1/4" TS cable.

1 Like

Line level audio is bipolar. -1.5V to +1.5V is a typical range. But the main point is that Eurorack is much hotter and needs to be attenuated on one side or another to get a signal that is commensurate with line level equipment.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Push the button if you want to Cycle.

1 Like

Coming back to this thread as I am finally ready to take the plunge :slight_smile:
I stick to the original idea of a single voice but with quite a lot of modulation. I am heading in a direction slowly but surely.
Have sold nearly all my synths/drum machines/mixers/effects to slim down to an only Elektron setup. OT, A4 Mk2, DT and DN. Processed through FMR RNC and Analog Heat Mk2. Had a lot of fun and working away from the laptop has proven positive for me.
I am now (as I said) ready to go and dip my toes in the modular world.
So I am going to slim down again my setup: will most likely sell DT and DN and keep OT (for mixing/looping/drum duties) and A4 (for analog flavor, also drum duties as it has proven quite impressive in that regard) to complement a 1 voice modular setup mainly based around a Manis Iteritas, Mimetic Digitalis, Lapsus OS, Endorphin.es Ghost.

3 Likes

Best of luck! You are certainly not rushing into anything, and you have clearly thought about it a lot. I look forward to hearing the results.

1 Like