Help with sampling on the Digitakt, what videos did you use?

Hello,

I’ve always struggled with using samples, I don’t know why, I tend to use one shots on it, but I really want to use it better now the 1.50 firmware has changed things especially with the splice machine for drum loops and also just random slices. I guess I find it hard to get a sample to loop nicely on a 16,32,64 etc.

What video(s) have you used to help learn this that you can recommend? I’ve watch a couple on YT which didn’t gel.

Thanks

Hello,

I can’t recommend any video but I can explain my process: I select a loop that I find nice and if if doesn’t fit perfectly in a bar (or 2), I use werp to make it fit, resample (using the new record length feature) and then use the slice machine to change the order of slices.

4 Likes

Search YouTube for Digitakt 1.50 and watch videos posted by @Elektron @DaveMech @rickytinez @ponchy Easiest and most straight forward tutorials to follow, IMO.

3 Likes

I’d say focus on beat making/sampling content in a more general sense, most techniques can be applied to any sampler as it’s more about the process. Jon Makes Beats is excellent for this, he uses an OT but you’ll learn a lot either way. Ricky Tinez as @melisshki suggests is a great shout too, he’s a good teacher and his stuff tends to be quite straight forward.

1 Like

Loop sampling principles are very simple : record, set start, end, done.

No need for videos for that, unless you want to sample a video ! What about sampling a tutorial ? :content:
Not that easy in practice with DT, waveform display isn’t precise but at least looped preview option helps a lot to check if trim selection loop nicely. Select the beginning visually and by ear, then end.

You can also start with internal recording, allowing loop recordings without editing :

• Make a loop with one shots
  • Rec threshold set to 0
  • Set record length in steps
  • Arm recording
  • Play

Done. You have a perfect loop.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Many, many, many people learn much more effectively through watching than reading.

That has no bearing on their level of intelligence or learning abilities, we all have different ways of learning that are more or less effective.

Many, many, many. It can’t be overstated how many, because it’s a lot. So for those many, many people - there is a huge and irreplaceable need for videos. One of the reasons uTube is the second largest search engine on the planet. And cat videos, of course.

3 Likes