Help with sound level or noise hiss from the digitone when going via the Digitakt

Hello,

I’ve been using the Digitone on it’s own for a couple of weeks to learn and it sounds amazing via my headphones. I’ve now put it back with my Digitakt and have moved the headphones to the Digitakt so I can use the compressor which I don’t fully understand.

Anyway the issue I have is I get that volume noise when listening via the Digitakt from the Digitone, it’s that noise as if you have the volume up way too loud, almost a hiss.

If I have these 2 devices on their on with my headphones they are fine. It the setup below if I put the headphones into the Digitone it’s phone (can’t hear the Digitakt then though).

It’s something the Digitakt is doing I think?

What’s the external input mixer page say on the DT?

I’d turn the compressor off for now to make troubleshooting easier.

Sorry I’m new to the compressor and Elektron world, how do I do that?

Ok. But the main thing you need to look at is the mixers 3rd page

You must have gone to this page to make the inputs work. What’s your setting here? Are they on full (think the value is 127)

Yeah this is what I have:

Try turning the input down to about 27. It looks like it’s currently about 100? From mememory this setting of 100 is mentioned on a YouTube video somewhere but I found that was way off and added gain, and noise! 27-30ish seemed about unity gain.

And if your using the compressor, it will accentuate this noise as that’s the nature of what a compressor will do

I see so on the L and R pages for the inputs on the Digitone set these from 100 to about 27?

Yup

Oh wow I think this sorted it, thanks!

I’ve spent ages on this, I’m not sure I would of found this solution without your help.

1 Like

Yeah, took me by surprise too. Seems odd, but at least there’s loads of gain there if you plug something quiet in one day. Good to hear it’s all sorted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, now I’m confused. You mention the input on the Digitone above? I meant the mixer page on the Digitakt

Oh I changed on the Digitone’s Input L and R source pages that send the audio to the Digitakt. They were set to 100, so I set them to 27.

That’s for input into the Digitone though, not output. if nothing is going into the Digitone, set these to 0 - then no noise there either.

Set the input on the digitakt to 27ish

Cables from Digitone outputs to digitakt inputs.

Sorry I mean the L and R on the outputs on the Digitone I set to 27. I’ll set back to 100 and then set on the Digitakt instead.

I don’t think there’s a setting for the OUTPUTS. - just an INPUT setting. If you have nothing going IN to the DN, then set it to 0 on the DN. the DN is going IN to the DT, so set the 3rd mixer page on the DT to have INOUT LEFT and RIGHT set to 27 and hard panned as you have in the photo.

Would it not be better to use the stereo input on the mixer page rather than the left/right, unless you had plans for treat each side differently that is.