Here's a quick 30s jam I put together for a competition

I saw Beardyman post recently about a competition he’s running with Adam Audio - the idea is to create a 30s track with stems from his performance. I figured it was a good opportunity to break out my crazy music box and record something, and I managed to fit a little bit of beatboxing in too!

4 Likes

Saw this on instagram, sounds awesome. Your setup and demos always make me gas for a virus.

1 Like

Cheers! Honestly, the virus is insane. It can do everything.

Yeah same here. I’m a sucker for compact set ups and this set up is a master piece in minimalism!

1 Like

Nice! Cool idea for a competition, reminded me of a punk compilation i had many years ago: “short music for short people” a collection of 100 30s- songs.

1 Like

Hah, yeah it’s a slightly odd combination of minimalism and maximalism. I wanted to strip everything back to the bare essentials, and approach it with a very minimalist mindset; everything has a specific purpose and there’s nothing there that isn’t incredibly useful/necessary, but at the same time, each component within the box is insanely powerful. The OT and Virus are both incredibly deep, and offer functionality way above and beyond most other instruments in their respective categories, and combining that with a touchscreen running a fully fledged DAW on a desktop OS is kind of insane.

I’m actually about to start work on a new DIY project which I hope will distill this idea a little more. I want to basically code something up which does everything this box does, but in a single unit. I’ll let you know how it goes in maybe 5-10 years :rofl:

Yeah, short songs can be a lot of fun! I’ll look up that compilation - punk lends itself well to really short tracks. I’m sure there were a load of Bad Brains tracks that were like 1min long on that Banned in DC LP.

I came here for some good ole big band swing jazz or some other good thirties music, but all I got was this 30 second long weird electronic piece.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: