High quality dj mixer for live looping?

I’ve seen @DaveMech’s videos with DT/DN and the DB4 which is very similar to what I’m looking for (respect Dave, love your stuff!!), but it seems like the DB4 is not longer in production as far as I can tell.

Are there any other mixers on the market that can do what the DB4 can do, with midi sync and live sampling/looping capability? Don’t really care too much about other on board FX. Was hoping to avoid having to buy a looper station with midi and working that in (not yet sure if/how that would work).

I’d prefer this solution to an Octatrack for the 3 or 4 band EQs and external FX loops. Basically just want to be able to cut back and forth between loops and live gear, with a little more control over individual audio tracks than the Octatrack can afford.

1 Like

I’ve looked into this myself, and it’s slim pickings. Not only are there few or no options, but people seem to be critical of how well the looper function works in the db4. That said, I saw a db4 on Gear4music, if that is a store you can order from.

1 Like

I wonder if the SP404 mk2 could hack this.

Monitor out into SP404 back into one stereo channel? SP404 also has built in FX and other fun stuff to play with.

How about. MIDI-friendly looper pedal in the FX loop of a small mixer? Mackie’s 1202 mixers have an ALT 3+4 bus that can send stereo from any channel with one button press.

1 Like

I wanted to avoid buying discontinued gear in favor of something newer, but this might be the cleanest solution.

OR… maybe running all other gear through an inexpensive mixer into an Octatrack would be a good compromise. Still get some sound shaping and external effects running through the mixer, then looping and fading between tracks on the OT. More sample slots, scenes and all the other goodies the OT has to offer.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at those!

The db4 Looper works perfectly. Just a matter of setting the bpm manually rather than using auto detect.

Another solution could be octa plus a mixer. Using octatrack as a send return FX live looper. It is incredible at that and I use it partly like that on top of the db4 :+1::blush:

4 Likes

I’m surprised the 1010 Blackbox wasn’t mentioned. Is not a mixer exactly. You could use a Novation Launch Control XL as a mixer interface to do something similar to the DB4.

1 Like

I snagged a DB4 on Reverb a couple of weeks ago for a ridiculous price… so they are out there, just rare.

I don’t think there’s anything comes close to it to be honest, it’s superb… the flexibility of its routing, the EQ options, the fx, the loopers… I’m amazed neither A&H or anyone else has followed it up.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this topic recently and lately was wondering if routing all my setup of machines into my MPC one (you can hook up a audio interface and get all the audio into the MPC) to use the live looping, the XYFX and some mastering pluggins could work ?

Basically like a Kaosspad

I will try one day and leave feedback here.

PS I remember seeing djs using a pretty accurate looper . Soundbite Micro by Red Sound

1 Like

I own one. Have in mind you can’t slave it via MIDI - that MIDI input is ONLY for messages that it spits via the MIDI OUT - sort of like a merger. It does send MIDI clock though, so you can use it as a master clock. I’ve tried every approach, and that seemed like the more stable solution (unless you’re very good at nudging tempo </>, which I’m not).