Hip-Hop, the other disciplines

When I was young (it seemed that life was so beautiful… yeah… hum… sorry 'bout that…) I lived in Paris. At that time (early 90’s let’s say) Hip-Hop was getting really big. The Zulu Nation had a real presence and it wasn’t rare to have huge gatherings combining graffiti, break dancing, turntablism and mc’ing. Some crews, even if not Zulu related had the “full package”, practicing the different art forms with skill and talent. Things were connected. MC’s knew about writers, who knew about breakers, who knew about DJ’s and so on.
But at some point it kind of faded away: while MC’s/Rappers took the front of the scene and the spotlight, others were doing their thing in their corners, but still rocking it and pushing boundaries even to this day.
This is not a “good old days thread”: let’s just re-celebrate the other disciplines together like a bunch of backpack kids full of paintings, crazy dance moves and turntablism wizardry. It can be old or new, but would be nice if you could share some of your own stuff, or from your friends or country/area. Please do not share beats or rhymes here unless it is somewhat related to the other art forms. Spread the knowledge!

Since I started this topic here’s one of my close friends most recent work: He’s name is Remy Assezat. He was a heavy train hitter back in the days, going by the tag name of “Suspect”. He painted all over the world, from Jamaica to Nigeria, from Stockholm to Thailand even NYC or Rio de Janeiro. “He’s the Traveller, going place to place , you see his face and he’s gone”.

If you’re familiar with dancing you surely heard about Les Twins, 2 French brothers smashing it worldwide the last years. Here’s Larry showcasing on a H.E.R song:

Last but not least Ordoeuvre, a French Turntablist going crazy on a jazz beat:

6 Likes