Hooray, instant gabberdrums.. but should i get them?

Hiya forum-friends,

Yesterday, I started playing with the uw-part of my machinedrum… . recording itself… so I put my triggers and all that.
and hooray I got sound and all that… but…

If I look at the tutorials… the loop they capture sounds nice and crispy… like that record hector is sampling.
When I did it… my drumloop changed into huge gabber-beats… awesome if you want it… but I didnt want it :slight_smile:
so I had to turn down the mlevel parameter… to get it down to a non-distorted level…

Deleting samples from memory (I had 97% free) made it sound more clear… the manual said something about altering sample-rate when memory is low… but still … it didnt sound within 99% the same… I was missing out on high-frequency things like hihats…

Its almost like things where sampled before the reverb and the delay…

Any tips or clues? how much do you guys turn down mlevel to get a propper sample?

The RAM machines are one of the coolest things about the MDUW, but like all things Elektron they do take a bit of getting used to. For background beyond the manual’s tutorial, you might search the old forum for a lengthy post (IIRC it was by Previewlounge) on using them, it was fairly comprehensive.

I always bring MLEV up to its midpoint and reduce ILEV to its minimum for internal sampling.

As with all samples on the MDUW, your results will be 12-bit. To bring out the best fidelity, the RAM-P track’s filter is your friend.

I find that if I’m working with a loop, I get better results if I play it back using two RAM-P machines, one panned a bit left, the other a bit right. That ups the volume and gives a pseudo stereo effect. Filtering them differently also can lend presence.

Not sure what to tell you beyond that about fidelity though. Usually I find the sound doesn’t start to suffer unless the available memory is below 50%.

Ah…
Hmmm weird… Like the manual said (and you say) mlevel to midpoint… (i think thats value 64) but it was instant overdriven gabber-kicks… I had to dail it down to 36 or something… funny enough… it wasnt bad sounding… just eh well … like you would make a gabber-kick on an mixingdesk… (by pluggin your kick in a channel… use pre-amp and eq… put output in the next channel on desk… again use pre-amp and eq… and plug that into the next channel of your mixer and again use pre-amp and eq… so you get these gigantic overdriven bases…
So hmmm your experience and the manual, are not near to what i am getting…

Same here. I loose quality if I record something using the RAM machine :frowning: