Hope to repair arrow key connector…

The arrow key on this MD UW mkIi +drive has stopped responding.

Is WD-40 recommendable to use a very small amount of?

If the faceplate is removed, can I remove the arrow button easily to then clean gently where the connection is?

Arrow key started functioning for a couple of days this time last year amongst a very humid wet season.

So I presume it’s just dust required to be removed.

No. I would try Deoxit. If that doesn’t help, I’d guess that it’s a dead tact switch. I’ve never replaced any on my Elektron’s, but I have done several on MPCs—it’s usually pretty easy (simple soldering).

Elektron support may be able to get you the part or point you to a supplier.

Cheers I shall try Deoxit.

Don’t spray that stuff inside your MD dude, no way, contact support first!

2 Likes

@Midilofi, @Hawk is correct you should definitely get ahold of support first. Just play it safe and absolutely do not use WD-40.

If you suspect it’s dust I wouldn’t spray anything in or on the contacts without cleaning the dust off first. Get some cotton swabs, a small brush and a can of compressed air and you’ll be able to get dust out of most places.

Personally I would opt for some 99% isopropyl alcohol for cleaning contacts, I also have good experiences using kontakt 60 for cleaning, kontakt WL for washing away the cleaner and then finishing it with kontakt 61 for protection. CRC also makes various cleaners and lubricants but I only have experience with the 2-26 electronic contact lube, which works well but still requires cleaning beforehand.

Cheers… I found the correct tool for opening the Machinedrum that was cool.

Remove the up arrow key cap although it is then a spring-pressured white peg trig within an enclosure fixed to the top board.

The top board appears to be removable although I don’t know for sure, haven’t tried.

I think the compressed air option could potentially help.

There’s a few integrated circuit chips nearby.Uploading: D22568C0-F96B-4643-A5B9-DBDDF5D2D907.jpeg…