How do I promote my sound collage (not really a) podcast?

Hi Everyone,

I have a sound collage project called Broken Window Garden that is improvised live in performances about 20-35 minutes in length. It incorporates music I’ve composed, found sounds, field recordings of everything from my family to protest marches, and ripped media audio snippets. I release each performance as a podcast. My Octatrak, Digitakt, and Digitone are all used, though the heart of the engine is still a PC laptop with 30 instances of Winamp open at the same time. I’ve amassed around 50 performances/shows on the podcast.

What is the best way to promote something like this these days? The project plays like something for noise/ambient fans, but because of the voices and field recordings, people who don’t normally listen to electronic music get into it to. It’s released as a podcast, but it would appeal to people to don’t like podcasts.

Here is the show that has gotten the most plays. I would love for anyone to offer any suggestions for promotion, and if you can take the time to listen, wonderful:

[Note: I changed the link from spotify, which is what a few comments are reacting to)

Warmly,
Ben

Is it available anywhere other than Spotify?

2 Likes

Political rant, feel free to ignore:

I refuse to listen to podcasts in Spotify. I will not do it. They began offering podcasts as another level of increasing “engagement”; they paid Joe Rogan an insane amount of money that represented how much value they imagine lies in having his audience move to their platform. It’s cynical, overbearing and a distraction from offering a good music service. The artist-audience dynamic needs transparent, two-way interaction between creatives and consumers, not another incumbent venture/investment capital funded data broker mediating those interactions.

I suspect I’m alone in feeling this way.

/ end rant

I mention it because I consciously use other services to access long-form audio and podcasts. I mostly use iTunes/Apple Podcasts (sure, it’s own kind of cynicism).

If you have the technical ambition, you could host a website and provide an RSS feed of the recordings (which is what podcasts are behind the spotify/apple shop front).

Soundcloud and Mixcloud are good for long-form audio and let you stream + share a decent amount of audio for free.

Many people like to use Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr or YouTube to host or promote their creations. You can probably link your Soundcloud/Mixcloud to any of your social networks. There’s less commercial, more grass-roots driven alternatives to all these tools. Mastodon and Matrix social networks, for example.

1 Like

I usually post on Anchor, which distributes it to Apple, Spotify, and a lot of others. You can listen here: