How do people react to your studio?

Music is just my hobby, but I have a rather insane setup at home - I guess I am not alone here. :stuck_out_tongue:

The reactions I get when people (non musicians) see my “studio” for the first time is quite hilarious and I am starting to see a pattern.

• Most people are initially very surprised and then quickly start to look at me with great concern and empathy like I am a crazy old guy hoarding cardboard boxes. I can see that they are thinking: “Dude, this is not normal” :slight_smile:

• OMG, so many keyboards. How can you play them all. Starts counting 1,2,3,… (my wife is always doing this)

How are your friends and family reacting to your gear collection?

13 Likes

More like your first case. It doesn’t help that it’s also the place where my DVD collection is.

I am so ashamed that I hide all the synths and don’t talk about it.

How about you count with her the amount of money you spent :smiley: instant “we need to talk!”

8 Likes

I typically just get a confused but curious turn of the head, and that’s the end of it. They probably wish I was still painting instead. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

You let people into your house?

46 Likes

Well… no magazines but I do have some gems on the shelf. For these I never get the bad looks I get for my record collection though.

3 Likes

I think my wife is aware that my gear is a fortune but we have a silent agreement not to discuss it further. It’s best that way :slight_smile:

Mentally I think it helps her a bit that I am getting some music done and not just noodling around.

1 Like

People ?
Friends …?

14 Likes

I keep all my gear in the wife’s office out back where no-one really goes, because I got bored very early on of explaining that it’s not DJ equipment, because I’m not a fucking DJ.

34 Likes

Casuals are generally more intimidated than excited ;(

THEN WHaT aRE YOU!! Reveal yourself!!

1 Like

Generally a mixture of “Nerd!” and “Do you know what all those knobs actually do???” etc

3 Likes

I’m not a DJ but more like Alice Deejay

I hope this makes things clear

6 Likes

Recent reaction of somebody introduced to my playroom … “… wow … so you are running a shop for music instruments …”

Best one, with two guys, where the second visited the first time …

• New guy: “… do you even know what all those knobs and instruments can do …?” … making a very doubting face …
  • Other guy: " … rest asured … yes … I’ve seen him doing it …" bright grin
  • Me (silently) “yesssss”.
7 Likes

Thank you for sending me on a 90s nostalia trip on youtube <3

2 Likes

The last comment from my student was : « Do you really need all this? »

8 Likes

33 Likes

Frank Miller raises one eyebrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nobody sees my studio because I have no friends or visitors…

11 Likes

I wish that more were curious, but it’s usually “cool making some beats huh” or when I talk about learning to play/make electronic genres they have me pegged as a dubstep artist hybrid dj.

Im probably the more awkward party about it… having slight anxiety people think I’m spending my life earnings away, even though the total worth amounts to a great mid level guitar and amp from any of the larger guitar manufacturers.

4 Likes