How do people react to your studio?

Suits you you better this way :grin::+1:

2 Likes

So far positive now that I organized it so that it’s not a mess. I hate clutter. Love the Jasper stand and could use a few more to free up space.

So that was you at my window with the camera?

1 Like

You should use that photo on a Craigslist sales post with everything priced 15% above retail.

This is the only interesting look at my studio thread I’ve ever visited.

3 Likes

The only people that have been in my studio are my wife and daughter. Although I might have to get the vocalist in here in person sometime in the next few weeks to finish some tracks.

Not many other people even know what I do. But sometimes not telling anyone makes me feel like an ass. I was at a party the other day and someone asked me what I was up to lately and I just had to say ‘oh, the usual’ and slowly leave the room :sweat_smile:. The fedex guy is getting suspicious too, last time he caught me outside as he was delivering a synth he said, ‘wow another keyboard huh?’

7 Likes

I can’t afford to upload onto Spotify

Why don’t you enjoy telling others what you enjoy, out of curiosity?

Well the reason it started was because if anyone local ever saw or knew about my studio or even suspected something valuable could be inside it would be gone the next day. When we renovated the studio building we purposefully kept the outside looking dilapidated so it wouldn’t draw attention. You can’t even put security cameras up outside here because it will draw too much attention. And it is a very small town where everyone knows everyone so if even one person finds out word would spread fast lol. The fedex guy lives in the town an hour and a half south of here so hopefully he doesn’t mess up my not-getting-robbed streak.

But I’ve also just come to enjoy the privacy. A little separation of my private life from my public life. I like for people who listen to my music to not know about my private life, and I like for people in my private life to not know about my music. It might sound a bit crazy in this day an age but it is actually kind of nice to decide who knows what about you, I don’t think it is necessary to share everything you do with everyone. They’re probably not interested anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Ahh, what ever happened to the small towns where no one locks up their cars or houses. That’d stress me the hell out living like that.

On the other hand, I’m glad you’re not like me and don’t tell people because you’re embarrassed by your lack of output.

3 Likes

I don’t do people.

2 Likes

Compartmentalizing ones life seems pretty normal to me.

I made friends with this couple I would see on the street both who are fairly successful electronic musicians / djs. I almost wish it didn’t come up in conversation as I preferred what we talked about before. Now when I see them I can’t help but to mention some piece of gear or whatever and miss our conversations about other crap people talk about.

4 Likes

Thanks, I get not wanting to call out that you’ve got a cabin studio any sawzall could break through. And privacy! I guess I just wondered if there’s some way you can talk about liking music without advertising your gear.

But then again, I’m sure in a smaller town you’re not finding a ton of people who’d be that interested in hearing about electro :stuck_out_tongue: Hell, my friends love listening to such music but have little interest in hearing how the sausage is made.

1 Like

There’s only disappointment on their faces when they realise the reality… after I lead them on like this

Only joking, no-one else has seen my pleasure room in years!

4 Likes

My “studio” at the minute is pretty much a laptop, interface and speakers, so anyone wandering in there probably just thinks I like my video calls loud.

5 Likes

Yes, all you need now is a microphone right in front of the speakers to match the setup of everyone I have had to do video calls with.

And it’s also how you use the setup too. You have to pretend you have never used technology before in your life and you were just abruptly woken up and thrown into the cockpit of a crashing fighter jet.

4 Likes

I love the “so you’re a DJ then?” Line of thought.
I play very abstract, noisy stuff so… even trying to explain that….
Me- “It’s electronic music, yeah. But I also use tape players and sometimes I put contact mics onto small structures I build”
Person- ugly face “so you’re just playing tapes?”
Me- “Well, sometimes, but that’s a very small portion of the overall sound and often it’s taken hours for me to create the material on those tapes, or I’ve cut tape loops which take time as well…”
Person - “so you just DJ with tapes.”
Me- sigh

And the whole “how do you make ‘music’ with tape players and microphones?”, usually asked all snarky and rude, is a hilarious, losing battle…

Also because of how slowwww moving my stuff is sometimes, I have been accused more than once from people in the audience not realizing what they were watching of “just (pressing play) then randomly moving some knobs on (all this other stuff)”
“No, everything I did was making sound. I literally only pressed play on this reel to reel that I spent days creating a backdrop of sounds into, musique concrete style, so I could manipulate that source through everything else”
“But you just said you pushed play on that thing and that made all the sound”

3 Likes

This! I don’t have a studio but some synths and pedals on a desk that already looks like a lot of stuff. I don’t show it to people really often. But sometimes a person seems interested, so instead of explaining what what does and how it is wired, I just start DN /DT project from scratch, let people bang in some notes or beats and then start manipulating it, adding some effects. If they‘re interested, maybe let them adjust an envelope or filter and see how radically the sound changes.

Most people are fascinated by how fast something basic is coming out of the machines. And to get a glimpse at how these sounds you know from clubs are made. I mean that‘s not a big surprise as that’s how all of us got hooked initially. I would love if more people got the chance to experience that and get interested. Also a lot of people had piano lessons as kids and can still play a few notes or chords that go well together. It just never occurred to them that electronic music making would be something for them, as they got forced to learn theoretical/classical music. Sadly, I also feel like boys/men are still more encouraged to start some kind of band or make music than women.

What‘s the most complicated to explain though is that this is all coming out of the machines and can be manipulated, and is not someone else’s music (the whole DJ question discussed here). But I feel like if people make stuff themselves on the fly, they get that easier than by explaining. Of course, there is then still the question of a recorded loop of sound versus the recording of MIDI notes that are the sequenced and can be manipulated at will.

5 Likes

Always worth considering where women may be more discouraged from contributing online, not even necessarily with active misogyny and perhaps just not wanting to deal with argueboys and their very important opinions.

Smaller scale, more helpful to noobs, and more talk of art and tech over “gearslutting” helps the health of any community :smiley:

3 Likes

People walk through my house, look in the garage and huff “oh, man cave”, i agree and leave it at that…

Not a single human i know wants to know the difference between an analog or digital oscillator, so why go there…

Man cave it is then.

4 Likes