How do you insure gear shipping?

Recently, i was on the fence to sell my MD.
I meet a problem : living in France, and unable to sell it in proper hands, i had to ship it to buyer.

Here is the problem : UPS, La poste or Chronopost was wether limiting the amount of insurance to half the amount of selling or asking for proof of the value been declared.

In the second case, the invoice (asked for refunding in case of dammage or lost) present the value of original buying, but not the price i would have sold it, more expensive than original price appearing on the invoice (MD prices :scream:).

So, if the MD would have been dammaged or lost, the amount received from insurance would not covered the amount and in the same time, i would have to refund the buyer. So it would result in a severe lost.

So, you, Elektronauts, how do you proceed to avoid this problem ? Do you have a specific insurance or do you not insure the shipping ?

Thanks for advices

In the UK Royal Mail Special Delivery will insure up to £2,500 (I think) and it’s the sale price, not the original price. This won’t be of much help in France. Sorry.

1 Like

Ridiculous policy

1 Like

I always ship with DHL (inside EU as well as into other countries. Up to Australia), and I always select insurance over the amount the items was sold for (Id rather pay that few extra bucks out of my own pocket than loose the device AND the money if something goes wrong).
DHL doesn’t have any issues there. You just have to select the level of insurance and up to now (I had to use that insurance once) it was no issue getting that money after I sent them Info what I sold, link to the post, copy of the invoice that I paid and in that case a screenshot of the payment I received).

The only thing I really dont get is: Why do WE have to pay an insurance that pays when THEY loose or destroy my package?

1 Like

Yes, it’s a kind of absurd way of proceding. But i think it has been a practice for a so long time that it became “normal” way :crazy_face:
Maybe this way they pay their one insurance so the operation is zero cost for them. They propose the service they bought to another company and we pay that service.

Thank you for this answer.