How do you like to use LFOs?

So at the mo I use my LFOs mainly for vanilla purposes: vol on SD, pitch on BD, dec on HH…

I’m curious as to how ya’ll like to employ them to give your tracks some interesting spice.

Mainly just looking for ideas…

Thanks! Love this board.

EDIT: I’ve seen mentioned people using the LFO to control the tail. What do you mean, or, how does one go about that?

1 Like

well, one good tip about the LFOs I’ve stumbled on this board is that you can use them to give more control for finetuning pitch.

Another one is to introduce FM/AM style modulation to sounds by using fast enough rates

You can also use the LFO for ghetto timestretch effects with longer samples

With the symmetry (lfo speeds below the halfway point), fades and retrig options, you can come up with quite alot of diff. ways to modulate stuff!

Mainly as AMP adsr and to Fmish samples and single cycle wavs

RND + HLD > ANYWHERE
I use this 99% of time
add a little human to a parameter
maybe a little extra decay on a hi-hat
used subtly it can break the machine feel
don’t forget the FX page !!

2 Likes

Definitely. I love it on HH. I use a little on Overdive…like someone unable to contain themselves.

But I have not tried it with HLD, just FRE. I’ll give that a whirl.

1 Like

Good stuff.

I just tried FM rates to TUN on the HH. It’s nice. Kind of smooths it out.

I’ll practice using those guys.

I’d like to use the LFO as anything besides a 1-shot envelope, but I feel like I need to this all the time.

On the A4 this distinction would be more important, but on the AR many of the machines’ parameters are formed (&frozen) once at the instant of trigging, so LFO modulation subsequent to creation is academic - some params will be variable after step creation, but many are not, so using free or hold will often have the same effect - HLD just keeps it simple/static between steps for faster LFOs
as discussed further back, using Hold with a ramp envelope and phase is a great way to create static offsets, especially as mod depth is fine on an LFO, so it’s a great way to fine tune coarse params :+1:

On the A4 this distinction would be more important, but on the AR many of the machines’ parameters are formed (&frozen) once at the instant of trigging, so LFO modulation subsequent to creation is academic - some params will be variable after step creation, but many are not, so using free or hold will often have the same effect - HLD just keeps it simple/static between steps for faster LFOs
[/quote]
HLD made a wonderful difference. Thanks for that.

Hi all,

Here is a simple and efficient use of LFO that works well IMO:

I recently use the LFO a lot on panning my HH.
I find that it allows me to place my HH better in the mix.
It changes a bit the property of the sound and add a kind of fuzzy FM harmonics, but if you keep Dept low (< 20) the result is very satisfying.

SPD 16
MUL 32 - 64
FAD 0
DST PAN
WAV TRI
SPH 0
MOD FREE
DEP +10 / +15

When I want to “strech” a track in the stereo field, i use either a short DELAY with high FEEDBACK and high WIDTH --OR-- LFO on panning

Try it and let us know :slight_smile:

Stef

I mainly use the LFO to get a tape-like effect on the sample, slightly modulating the FIN parameter.

I also like to use the FM dirt, e.g. on the attack.

Ooo good idea.

And how do you set it up for attack only?

Ooo good idea.

And how do you set it up for attack only? [/quote]
Use the LFO fade out.

Ooo good idea.

And how do you set it up for attack only? [/quote]
Use the LFO fade out.[/quote]

Gotcha. Thanks.

Man. I need read and experiment more on LFOs.

Totally agree with this and I also use this 99% of the time. Simple but super effective. :+1:

avantronica[…] maybe a little extra decay on a hi-hat
used subtly it can break the machine feel[…]
don’t forget the FX page !!

Smart++

I use the LFO on the attack of the amp page, this can sort of control how the sound creeps in. Also good on hihat, not only the decay´s. Also good on cymbals.