How it it Tuning drums on Syntakt

I remember the RYTM being a bit tedious to tune a kick to C and get it to track smoothly for melodic 808’s, but this was years ago. Is it difficult or tedious on the Syntakt?

I always tune my kicks by ear.

I’m either Charlie Puth or my kicks sound like shite… ahhh damn.

Someone asked a very similar question a couple of days ago but didn’t get an answer: Can the Syntakt set the reference pitch and/or fine tune? - #2 by esotericmetal

So let’s bump you

1 Like

I don’t own one but I think the machines all play chromatically and I’ve heard the tracking on the analogue engines are much more stable than the ones on the rytm, especially in higher octaves.

1 Like

Thanks. Good to hear. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Played one today, the machines can be played chromatically.

1 Like

Pitch seems well stable on pretty much everything so far.

Haven’t noticed any problems so far with the analogue kicks, and the digital ones track perfectly and sound really good.

1 Like

So does that mean all of the instruments on Syntakt, even the drum synths, are tuned to C3 by default?

My experience with the Digitakt is that although samples can be played chromatically you still have to tune the sample to a reference note. If you fire up the keyboard and hit ‘C’ it doesn’t tune it for you.

1 Like

C5, but yeah.

1 Like

Just ran a quick test on the DVCO at config 0 - with TUNE at 0 you get relatively stable tracking from note C3 (which is actually C1, 32.6 hz) to C7 (which is actually C5). Turning TUNE up to 12 gives you another octave, but it starts going out above that. Still much improved from the RYTM and the resolution of the tune knob gives you more fine tuning control without needing the LFO trick.

4 Likes

Thank you. That is good they stabilized that. I’m less concerned with the DVCO as I am the kick drum machines, though.

Similar results on the BD machines, even BD Plastic (which was a huge pain to tune on the RYTM) has a few stable octaves.

1 Like

And it’s set to C and tunes in 1 semi values? That would be a huge relief. That was such a pain on the RYTM. Got to the point I just used a sample.

Yep, the tune parameter is scaled from -24 to +24, 0 is a C and each integer is a semitone (until it starts going out of tune at the higher ranges). A lot of my music is unpitched or not really dependent on chromatic tuning but it was still really annoying on the RYTM when I did want to have things in tune, I usually had to have a single cycle waveform in the sample slot to tune to as a reference pitch. Glad this has been fixed.

1 Like

That is great. I really appreciate you answering all of my questions.