How to accurately balance output levels across presets

Hi everyone. I’m sure someone must have done something like this before:

I have 13 presets on my blackbox and I want to make sure that the output levels are balanced across the presets. I can do it by ear but would like to use a more accurate method. I have tried running the blackbox signal through Bitwig and Ableton but I find it hard to read the peak level on such a small meter.

Is there a simple solution to this that I’m missing? or a plugin on Bitwig or Ableton that will tell me the peak level for a sound?

Thanks

1 Like

Different approaches. Don’t have Bitwig or Ableton but if you have a hard time reading Level meters why not use a compressor with gain reduction readout. Set the threshold to the base level you need with preset 1 until you see the plugin is starting to reduce gain. Thats your reference. Next presets adjust volume to the moment the gain reduce is starting to work and dial a tiny bit back.

I would recommend not using the daw at all and continue doing it by ear: put a normalised pink noise wavefile on the blackbox as reference sample.
Loop that wavefile as reference level. If you level the rest of the mix to the point the level of the presets tend to breakthru the pink noise sound your very close. Mute the pink noise and your very close to where you wanne be.

1 Like

Yea, I always just do stuff like this by ear too.

This is free and will work in either DAW:

1 Like

Youlean Loudness Meter is awesome. If you want something a simpler solution, try mvMeter2 | TBProAudio. The plugin’s UI is resizable and will give you good data to base your gain decisions on. And as some have mentioned, definitely trust your ears, either with headphones or speakers - this is crucial.

ugh. it’s very tedious (but crucial if you play live).
i do it by ear using pink noise method (comparing to pink noise).
same for drum kits.
nothing sophisticated. reliable. just tedious.

3 Likes

@chaocrator
What is Pink noise method ?
Sorry for my ignorance, please cure a part of it
Thx alot

1 Like

something like this.
search „pink noise mixing“ for sfurther information if needed.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for these responses. Very helpful indeed. Gig on Monday so lots of work to do.

1 Like

Okay, nice and simple trick. For my poor sound ingeneer skills it will be excellent.
Thanks a lot, will try it with my AR as soon as possible :nerd_face:

1 Like